Live Election Day Thread

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
*sorry the point was, the best things in life are free IMO.
Money does very much help to a certain point though
I take my nephew who has autism to bowling and pool every Monday 3.30pm. Stuff like that is what matters. My 5 year old nephew, I got him to catch his first fish a month ago. We were both buzzing. That's what life is about

GG.

Sorry, yes, sizzle is banned here.
———————

Morning bluebells

About time, unfortunately he is now trying to spout his nonsense on other threads. Hopefully Admin will do something about him soon.

I am ex-service and my Father flew in ww2 just so that people could have freedom and free speech, however he does not believe that everyone has a right to an opinion.

This thread is now much more civilised, and whilst still disagreeing, people are listening and responding (mostly) in a structured and reasonably polite way

comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
*sorry the point was, the best things in life are free IMO.
Money does very much help to a certain point though
Really good to hear that. Those are the things that life is about, they're sadly often lost in the shiiiite if we're not careful

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
comment by thebluebellsarablue (U9292)
comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
Bear in mind we are right at the top (there is of course a minute percentage of people above us) of the capitalist tree.

Research the lives of factory workers in China, plantation workers in India, fruit growers of South America, all of which allow for our lifestyle and see how effective this current model really is.
Reality check....Thank you scruttocks.πŸ˜‰

Those Nordic nations are at the top of the western tree, and our western tree is at the top of the world ecomonicslly, so democratic socialism works best when we are richer than all the rest.

And can afford to share and be fair.

Very insightful scruttocks, as we pat each other on our privileged capitalist and democratic socialist backs.
I'm not sure it works in any sense right now, not just because of the wealth distribution (which does work in our favour) but because it's a completely unsustainable model. The planet is wrecked within 100 years all so a fraction of the human population can own lots of stuff they don't really need... there has to be a better way
I along with my wife read JK Galbraith's affluent society in my early 20s. It massively shaped my outlook towards consumerism and status. Putting used train tickets in my shoes to stop water coming up the soles in my shoes is probably the line that draws scorn from family members. I probably should be far wealthier than I am, but just don't care enough. I found a stock market exploit a decade or so ago, and shared it with family even gave my brother seed funding to get it off ground whilst he was getting his head around it. His profits were lifestyle changing, but for me once I had made a little bit, the tedium of making money was of no interest. I turned £20 to £200 for a lad on here using the system, when he asked if I could still do it. Don't know what point I'm making, other than there are no pockets in a shroud. Folk need to step away from status and consumerism. Let the whole house of cards tumble down
Bet you cant get those returns again on my 100k...

Is that a lower class 100k? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
comment by thebluebellsarablue (U9292)
comment by Scruttocks (U19684)

Reality check....Thank you scruttocks.πŸ˜‰

And can afford to share and be fair.

Bet you cant get those returns again on my 100k...

Is that a lower class 100k? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I did say i needed to consult the categorisations again!!

Although I don't own any property etc.

Comment deleted by Site Moderator

comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

Squatters get good internet access I see.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

Squatters get good internet access I see.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

Squatters get good internet access I see.

Are you Swampy, or whatever his name was?

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

Squatters get good internet access I see.

Are you Swampy, or whatever his name was?
No, i have always been IRU, my partners parents own a 5 acre smallholding in wiltshire, they built an annexe from my father in laws mother to live in, she inhabited it for 3 months and decided to move back to yorkshire.

They invited us to come live in it, we were spending most of our time here tending the animals and vegetable garden anyway, so we moved in and i sold my house.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by GeniusGreaves (U1302)
posted about 3 hours ago
GG.

Sorry, yes, sizzle is banned here.
———————

Morning bluebells

to your dad GG
A real hero

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by NPE (U22020)
You own no property?
Nope, nor do i rent however

Squatters get good internet access I see.

Are you Swampy, or whatever his name was?

My family probably want to move in with you. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Missus loves growing fruit and veg, son loves animals. Feck knows what they're doing with me. πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
Feck knows what they're doing with me. πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚
"Son loves animals"

I think we've solved that mystery.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

China said on Saturday it strongly opposes Washington’s decision to levy additional tariffs on $550 billion worth of Chinese goods and warned the United States of consequences if it does not end its “wrong actions”.

The comments made by China’s Ministry of Commerce came after the U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Friday that Washington will impose an additional 5% duty the Chinese goods, hours after Beijing announced its latest retaliatory tariffs on about $75 billion worth of U.S. goods, in the latest tit-for-tat moves in their bilateral trade dispute.

“Such unilateral and bullying trade protectionism and maximum pressure violates the consensus reached by head of China and United States, violates the principle of mutual respect and mutual benefit, and seriously damages the multilateral trade system and the normal international trade order,” China’s commerce ministry said in a statement on Saturday.

“China strongly urges the United States not to misjudge the situation or underestimate determination of the Chinese people,” it added.

Trump’s latest tariff move, announced on Twitter, said the United States would raise its existing tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese imports to 30% from the current 25% beginning on Oct. 1, the 70th anniversary of the founding of the communist People’s Republic of China.

At the same time, Trump announced an increase in planned tariffs on the remaining $300 billion worth of Chinese goods to 15% from 10%. The United States will begin imposing those tariffs on some products starting Sept. 1, but tariffs on about half of those goods have been delayed until Dec. 15.

Trump was responding to Beijing’s decision on Friday night that it was planning to impose retaliatory tariff on $75 billion worth of U.S. imports ranging from soybean to ethanol. China will also reinstitute tariffs of 25% on cars and 5% on auto parts suspended last December.

The White House economic adviser said earlier in the week the Trump administration was planning in-person talks between U.S. and Chinese officials in September. It is unclear if the bilateral meeting would still take place.

The year-long trade war between the world’s two largest economies has roiled financial markets and shaken the global economy.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

France pushed forward with the tax after a broader EU-wide effort failed last year. Now other countries like the U.K., Italy and Austria are considering enacting their own versions of a digital tax. France’s government has said the measure will raise 500 million euros per year.

The U.S. Trade Representative launched an investigation into France’s digital tax, saying it “unfairly targets American companies.” President Donald Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on French wine in response to the measure.

Big U.S. tech companies have strongly opposed France’s digital tax, saying they would prefer a multilateral agreement. Amazon has also said it will pass some of the costs of the new measure down to thousands of small and medium-sized French businesses selling on its platform. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) is currently reviewing digital taxation but has said it won’t reach a conclusion until next year.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

ooops sorry posted twice by mistake

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

big weekend and week for Trump

Comment deleted by Site Moderator

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
Feck knows what they're doing with me. πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚
"Son loves animals"

I think we've solved that mystery.
Missus loves veggies as well. πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Thanks Irishred

Whereabouts are you? I was born in Thurles, Co Tipp & my Father was a Limerick man

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
Feck knows what they're doing with me. πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚
"Son loves animals"

I think we've solved that mystery.
Missus loves veggies as well. πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 33% (+1)
LAB: 21% (-1)