Live Election Day Thread

posted on 3/6/20

Anybody read this maddy mccann stuff? 2020 is turning out to be quite the year.

posted on 3/6/20

I think in six months when we have mass unemployment, a great depression, we will have riots in the UK comparable to what is going on in the US. It will just need one horrible event to light the touch paper.

I hope I am wrong. I really do.

comment by Bales (U22081)

posted on 3/6/20

comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Bales (U22081)
comment by son of quebec (U8127)
Bales, went downtown yesterday. Only windows smashed were on main shopping street and only ones I saw were 20x20 footers at Foot Locker.

The same cants who ruin every rally or demo. They used to be called the Black Flag faction. Schitdisturbing fekin punks. Foot Locker.Needed new trainers and hoodies?
Yeah that's not on.

There was a small protest here but I didn't go downtown. Not heard reports of any looting or anything, but it's Victoria so they probably nicked a couple of kale shakes and were done for the day.
At least you know how the rest of the country looks at the Wet Toast.
Did you see the post earlier about Chinese buying up properties in London?Welcome to the club.
Maybe regular working folk will be able to live in Vancouver again. I don't think they look favorably on Canada after this (last?) week's ruling.
Yeah it is what it is. Nearly wed and nearly dead

I don't think a tsunami would drive down Vancouver property prices enough for the average Joe to afford living there. Even Burnaby is ridiculous these days.
The prices in Vancouver were so high a couple of years ago the Chinese started buying here. (Lowest prices for a major Canadian city historically) Prices immediately skyrocketed. I think tho, Chinese may be wary of buying in Canada for a while.
Oh yeah, fair enough. From what i've heard the second-home taxes have been effective in reducing some of that but it's too far gone. IMO.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Constantinople (U11781)
If the Tories can win a former mining constituency for the first time in political history, maybe Texas turning blue on a rare occasion could occur too. Politics has been an absolute fiasco the last 10 years.

On Texas, it is possible due to demographics and ideologies that in 10 years time Republicans may become the firm majority party in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida.

While Democrats will take Texas, and Arizona.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Constantinople (U11781)
Aaah the innocence of youth.

Pulling your wire. But it has been a schitshow internationally since Maggie and Ronnie started trickling.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)

I hope I am wrong. I really do.
Liverpool winning the league?

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)

While Democrats will take Texas, and Arizona.
Where are you getting your demographic projections from?

posted on 3/6/20

comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)

While Democrats will take Texas, and Arizona.
Where are you getting your demographic projections from?

posted on 3/6/20

comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Boris 'Inky’ Gibson (U5901)
Andy didn't commit a criminal offence.
Why won't he agree to be questioned by FBI?
How do you know what he did or didn't do?
He's alleged to have had realations with a 17 year old girl in London..

Legal here but illegal in the US where you can't have sexual realations until you're in your mid 30's and then one of your parents must be present.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Boris 'Inky’ Gibson (U5901)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)

I hope I am wrong. I really do.
Liverpool winning the league?

Could be.

Point is that this situation reminds me a lot of Lenin’s mantra: “Probe society with a bayonet. If you find steel, withdraw. If you meet mush, keep pushing.”

Look at the kneeling policeman and the crazed, unhinged protests going on today. All society can offer to the challenge is mush, and the revolutionaries will keep pushing.

posted on 3/6/20

Peel's 4th principle of policing: "To seek and preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to law."

Yeah, that got scrapped today.

comment by Bales (U22081)

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)

I hope I am wrong. I really do.
I hope you're wrong too but completely agree.

Unless the BLM protests gets the anger out.

posted on 3/6/20

I watched this today and wanted to hug her at the end.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)

While Democrats will take Texas, and Arizona.
Where are you getting your demographic projections from?

Where does it mention specific states there?
It's basically saying America will be functionally a minority white nation by 2045.
I thought this was common knowledge.
How can you predict which way any state will vote in the future?
You know that states get more reps in congress as their population rises not only that, but they're share of the electoral college rises and falls with their populations.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by son of quebec (U8127)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)

While Democrats will take Texas, and Arizona.
Where are you getting your demographic projections from?

Where does it mention specific states there?
I thought this was common knowledge.
How can you predict which way any state will vote in the future?

I never said it did, I did say ideologies and demographic changes.

Also you are missing out my actual claim, which is that if demographics generally change in the country, I think rust belt states will react a specific way. Its not nice, but its not about whether people move to Michigan, it is about how people in Michigan will react to developments nationwide.

posted on 3/6/20

On ideological changes, look at Tucker Carlson as an example. He is perhaps the most influential conservative personality in America.

Look at his views - economic populism combined with an almost nativist outlook towards immigration. It is basically a much smarter version of Trump.

That is my prediction for what the future outlook will resemble. I really doubt it will become a socially liberal libertarian party when Trump leaves.

posted on 3/6/20

Doesn't take long for some people to jump on the bandwagon

Matthew Goodwin
@GoodwinMJ

Within only a week the ten o'clock news has gone from venting collective outrage over Dominic Cummings to not mentioning social distancing *at all* when covering the protests. I suspect many people out there will be feeling confused.

posted on 3/6/20

I think you have a point..Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, Utah.
Oh fek. That doesn't look good for Canada (border states) Sometimes I'm glad I'll miss this dystopian horror show your future us shaping up to be.

posted on 3/6/20

Literally what my dads been telling me for the last 10 years. Since then we’ve got Boris and Trump leading the most powerful countries in the world, Brexit, this pandemic and the rise of violent protests. He jinxed it on himself.

posted on 3/6/20

The UK is not among the top two powers, I barely consider it top 10. It is an absolute minnow compared to China, or the US.

posted on 3/6/20

I usually go off GDP when I consider a country’s power. And we are in the top 5/6.

posted on 3/6/20

Hmm...I think that is a dubious metric.

posted on 3/6/20

comment by Constantinople (U11781)
Under the protection of the
You Ess mother forkin A

comment by Bales (U22081)

posted on 3/6/20

I like going by the number of nukes each country has.

The UK is fifth