Live Election Day Thread

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Sat Nav (U18243)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)
posted less than a minute ago
Does flash photography set it off for you as well? That’s what they always announce on the news before airing a segment for people in your situation I guess
Nope, which is great because I enjoy going to gigs.

For me it's mostly triggered by tiredness and sometimes exercise!
Yeah from what I understand, which is very little mind, it’s a pretty complex thing in terms of what can set it off and how it can manifests. It can be very subtle right? But still very dangerous even with subtle signs?
Yeah I can only speak from my perspective. For me it's not so obvious what sets it off. All I know is that without the medication I'm at risk.

I think it might be seen similar to say cancer, you can't always say what necessarily caused it, but you know with a big probability what the issue might have been.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)
That’s great then Hawk, I was gonna say if you can go to a cinema because they can be pretty bright and flashy too.
Yeah, it's a lot worse for other people out there tbh. Fortunately for me, I can just about do anything, enjoy my life and even take needless risks.

For others they can have so many fits that it can cause irreversible brain damage and other horrible issues.

I remember being extremely upset hearing about the child in the UK who couldn't get hold of medical marijuana. I'm very rarely angry regarding news stories, because lucky enough very few affect me directly. This though made me furious over the situation.
Is that the kid who’s parents had to go to France to get the weed??

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Sat Nav (U18243)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)
posted less than a minute ago
Nope, which is great because I enjoy going to gigs.

For me it's mostly triggered by tiredness and sometimes exercise!

Aye

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Constantinople (U11781)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Constantinople (U11781)

Is that the kid who’s parents had to go to France to get the weed??
Yeah that sounds correct. The whole thing was joke tbh, because finding medication which suites you and works is pretty hard.

Most come with horrible side effects. I've taken some which are like tranquillisers. The one I'm on now is okay, but as it is a drug used for bipolar - I can't say I'm the biggest fan because I feel it effects mood.

But it could be worse: women who take this drug and are pregnant can terrible affects to their kids. So at least I don't have to worry about that!

comment by Blarmy (U14547)
I should note that in general I lean towards analysing more what actually happened in history rather than the political ideals of those in charge

I think its a good thing to recognise the gap between reality and the aims of political leaders. But the reality should be studied more than their ideology and I dont think it does on average tbh.
See I think it would be more useful for me to get that perspective. A lot of what I do read on history is usually through political or philosophical ideas.

For instance, I'm re-reading Caliban and the Witch - which to me is a fascinating book with some good ideas. However, I do take it with a little pinch of salt when it comes to the historical facts.
Do you agree with historical materialism?

posted about 2 hours ago
comment by Blarmy (U14547)

Do you agree with historical materialism?
Not really, no. I'm more of an idealist.

Do you agree with it?

posted about 2 hours ago
comment by Blarmy (U14547)

Do you agree with historical materialism?
Not really, no. I'm more of an idealist.

Do you agree with it?
I don't favour any one fit all theories when it comes to looking at history tbh. Seems to be for every example there are more examples elsewhere that don't fit the rules laid out. Boring answer I guess. I've applied both materialism analysis and idealist analysis depending on how I viewed the particular period.

Marxist historians have done some great research work and I was taught by a few. I was taught by more liberal historians as well who were often even greater ideologues and that sort of approach never resonated with me when either professor displayed it.

posted about 2 hours ago
comment by Blarmy (U14547)

Do you agree with historical materialism?
Not really, no. I'm more of an idealist.

Do you agree with it?

I would consider myself more of a pluralist, where I consider both methods valid, but recognise that in isolation they look at things through a narrow lens.

For instance, Caliban and the Witch is a a marxist framework to look at both feminism and the early stages of capitalism. It definitely gives some fascinating insights into the era. However, does it tell you everything you need to know? Definitely not.

Also, theres plenty of areas where this kind of analysis falls extremely short.

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

comment by thebluebellsarablue (U9292)
posted 1 day, 19 hours ago
comment by HenrysCat (U3608)
So back when you used to try to debate in good faith, it was just about trying to get people to like you? Doesn't sound like a very sincere conversation to me.
Put the spoon away, Henry.

Why not just debate here together than target?

You do this every time you return.

Just saying like, but you know exactly what you are at.

Did that Tbab, got attacked; by you mostly. Bored of it, I just pop on for a read now and then these days. It's pretty clear many have zero interest in trying to understand each other's opinions.

posted about 2 hours ago
comment by Blarmy (U14547)

Do you agree with historical materialism?
Not really, no. I'm more of an idealist.

Do you agree with it?

Also, theres plenty of areas where this kind of analysis falls extremely short.
Entirely why I love historiography (nerdy statement Im aware) its about tracking different ideas - which often require entirely different research areas to be produced - and building a grander picture

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

“The most sacred of the duties of a government is to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens."

Thomas Jefferson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

comment by HenrysCat (U3608)
comment by thebluebellsarablue (U9292)
posted 1 day, 19 hours ago
comment by HenrysCat (U3608)
Put the spoon away, Henry.

Why not just debate here together than target?

You do this every time you return.

Just saying like, but you know exactly what you are at.

Not true.

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Have to say as an NI loyal fan, RIP Jack Charlton, who made Irish eyes smile and served the mighty seventies Leeds team well.

Will raise a Guinness later to you big man.

Henry.

You ever want to come on and debate with me or others, fire away....or just pass time or laugh at the world.

Don't let me stop you.

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)

Thomas Jefferson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Looks like Flynn is next:

2020

"New documents just released reveal General Flynn was telling the truth, and the FBI knew it!"

2017

"I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies. It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!"

23 new cases and 2 deaths today

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

comment by Irishred (U2539)
23 new cases and 2 deaths today
Still low, broπŸ‘

Thoughts n prayers for JackπŸ™

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

comment by What would Stuart Pearce do? Ireland-Kenya Relations Secretary (U3126)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)

Thomas Jefferson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Looks like Flynn is next:

2020

2017

Trump era is quite mad😜

posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

No offence, but this place dies without çonflict, at timesπŸ˜€

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

comment by FieldsofAnfieldRd (U18971)
posted 1 day, 10 hours ago

“ The findings emphatically do not show that black women are not discriminated against. The fact that a far greater share of black women grow up in economic disadvantage than white women is itself a product of discrimination. Black women also face outsize rates of school suspension, imprisonment, and police violence compared to white women.”
Naah. When black people can't find a way, its because they're irresponsible and make bad choices.

When white women can't find a way it's just normal, it's not because they're I responsible and make bad choices.

We are being told that in the USA, people make good or bad choices depending on skin colour. Black people are irresponsible and make bad choices, whereas white people do not, and this is the difference in their fortunes in the USA.

Facking racist.

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

comment by * and Obelix - Super Duper World Euro Champ19ns (U1282)
comment by FieldsofAnfieldRd (U18971)
posted 1 day, 10 hours ago

Facking racist.
You’re unbelievably stupid if that’s what you think has been said.

Facking moron 🀣

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

You get given a 100+ page study on the subject that you feel so strongly about as to call me racist, don’t even bother to read it. Fields then Google’s the study and looks at the top result and copies and pastes a small section of that websites analysis to suit his agenda & narrative.

And you dumbass, have done the same thing you always do and completely misrepresent someone else’s opinion to then ridicule those made up opinions and now call someone racist. Very good.

Here are some more points from the very article that Fields quoted from:

“In other words, the fact that fewer black women grow up in affluent families accounts for the ongoing inequality between white and black women’s wages. Black and white women born into equivalently wealthy families enjoy basically the same economic outcomes.“

“ By contrast, none of those variables are similar for black and white men, conditional on their parents’ income. Regardless of their parents’ earnings, black men on average worked fewer hours, earned lower wages, and were less likely to work than white men, period:”

“ “Black-white gaps in high-school dropout rates, college attendance rates, occupation, and incarceration are all substantially larger for men than for women,” the authors write. “Black women have higher college attendance rates than white men, conditional on parental income.”

I know that’s probably a lot of words for you read son but give it ago. What this study is clearly demonstrating is that black men are underperforming, as opposed to black women who are performing the same or outperforming white women. This is not open for interpretation or opinion or your spin to suit your own narrative. If you’d like to dispute the data, then provide some of your own.

Therefore: How are Black women able to do so much better than black men if it’s not fundamentally about individual responsibility and choices?

Perhaps it’s sexism against black men? πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Sat Nav

You’ve jumped into a conversation on another article and go off on one here fella. What was the point I was responding to when posting the above link?

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

comment by FieldsofAnfieldRd (U18971)
Sat Nav

Obelix is the one that brought I’m up the conversation from a say and a half ago, not me.

Ask him to go back and look through what you were responding to either that or going forward use the reply function.

I’m going off on one because the guy called me racist; do you expect me to be happy about that?

posted 3 weeks, 2 days ago

This is one of the best things I’ve listened to, bravo that man.