Star Wars Spoiler Thread

posted on 20/4/19

Naturally how you view the prequels vs the new films is based on opinion but from my perspective, I can't see where the new films succeed over the prequels.

Characters: Prequels
Story: Prequels
Action: Prequels by a significant amount
Music: Prequels(dual of fates)
Script: New trilogy
Iconic/ goosebump moments: Prequels

posted on 20/4/19

comment by Superb (U6486)
Overall the prequels were way better than this new trilogy. Even if Episode 9 smashes it out of the park (highly unlikely) I'll still favour the prequels as Last Jedi absolutely derailed this trilogy.

Phantom Menace isn't good at all but at least it had some good characters and a brilliant baddie in Darth Maul. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith especially are better Star Wars movies than Force Awakens, which to me is just a poor man's New Hope.

And that Force Awakens looks like Shakespeare next to Last Jedi tells you everything you need to know.
Phantom menace is a bad movie but I'd honestly watch that over both FA and TLJ. That final battle between Maul and Obi Wan/Qui Gon is worth sitting through all the rest.

posted on 20/4/19

Funnily enough, I enjoyed FA when i first saw it in the cinema but looking back, the movie has not aged well and it's clear my nostalgia and love for the originals blinded me. TLJ was a similar affair and I think it's flaws ultimately have diminished FA as a movie.

posted on 20/4/19

Yeah, well unfortunately cos Last Jedi dropped the ball it does hurt FA. Also i think JJ did say that they wanted to honour the Prequels... but man, an interesting 8 months ahead.
I think the timing of Disney+ launching in november is deliberate, just a month before Ep9.
People would have watched the by then...

posted on 20/4/19

Hey to each their own. To me Attack of the clones is the worst Star Wars film ever made, phantom menace is poor but somewhat redeemed by Maul. But why Lucas killed him off I’ll never know. I don’t mind Revenge of the Sith but i just don’t like Padmes ridiculous death “she’s just given up”. She has 2 facking children now ffs. And i don’t like anakins turn, other than that it’s decent and i can sit and watch it.

That’s why i get why people don’t like the new ones, even though i disagree and personally like them, it’s all subjective. Things i hated in the prequels you guys might love about them. And vice versa with the new ones.

posted on 21/4/19

comment by StringerBell (U11749)
People would have watched the by then...
I expect to see a significant amount of fan service in episode 9 and as long as it is done well, I am fine with it
Unfortunately for TLJ, I think 9 will be better and it will undo many story points from 8, which will only perpetuate the negativity towards 8.

posted on 21/4/19

Prequels, originals, new movies, regardless of what takes your fancy, can we at least agree that Favreau's mandalorian tv show has the potential to bring balance to the star wars galaxy once more?

posted on 21/4/19

Tiddles

I am Ok with Padme's death because she'd come under extreme amounts of stress within the hours leading up to it and finding out the love of your life killed little kids is probably harrowing.

What I found even more ludicrous is Rey being able to mind control a storm trooper, out do Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel and force pull lukes lightsaber away from Kylo, without any prior training. Oh not to mention she is suddenly moving large amounts of rocks and again, overpowering Kylo with her force pull in the TLJ, which is a few hours after FA

It took Luke a while before he could force pull anything, as seen in empire strikes back, and even then, he still had to focus whilst hanging upside down.

posted on 21/4/19

It's sad really because as a fan, I felt this new trilogy had so much potential. The big 3 back, Luke at his strongest, Kylo and his Knights of Ren, this new villainous figure of Snoke, potential new planets and lightsaber battles.

Unfortunately, neither of those aspects were done justice and some weren't even used.

comment by MKspur (U9129)

posted on 22/4/19

Interesting read

posted on 22/4/19

Hmm some good points raised but I still feel the rise of skywalker either refers to Rey being one or Kylo being redeemed. Both of which are avenues I am not too enthusiastic about.

comment by Naby8 (U6997)

posted on 23/4/19

I think that’s actually quite likely.

Didn’t Disney say these films would be the conclusion of the skywalker story? If Rey is a skywalker (by parentage) then the story isn’t complete really.

If we assume Leia and Kylo don’t make it to the final credits alive (good chance I’d have thought) then labelling force sensitives as skywalkers keeps the name alive but allows the story of Anakin, Luke and Leia to end.

comment by Superb (U6486)

posted on 23/4/19

comment by The Guvnor XI -Iron sharpens Iron- (U12889)
posted 3 days, 1 hour ago
Good to see you've finally seen the light Guv. Can remember you gave me such a hard time for not liking Force Awakens when it came out . All is forgiven

comment by Superb (U6486)

posted on 23/4/19

I'm honestly expecting it to be as obvious and unimaginative as Rey being a Skywalker. Not sure if it's worse if she's Luke or Leia's child though.

She'd have to be Luke's unless Leia suffered an attack of memory loss for nine months. So Luke's daughter that he never knew about.

Throw in Kylo redeeming himself as well somehow shortly before he dies at the end of Episode 9 and you probably have the movie there in a tin.

posted on 23/4/19

comment by Superb (U6486)
comment by The Guvnor XI -Iron sharpens Iron- (U12889)
posted 3 days, 1 hour ago
Good to see you've finally seen the light Guv. Can remember you gave me such a hard time for not liking Force Awakens when it came out. All is forgiven
To be fair, before FA, it had been 10 years since we had a star wars movie and I was salivating during that gap, eagerly anticipating Star Wars returning, not only to the big screen but being set post return of the jedi and bringing the originals back. The movie could have been abysmal but my undying love for star wars would have blinded me.

posted on 23/4/19

I had 2 gripes with TFA.. they killed Han.
And that outstanding piece of technology being an after thought. But Star Killer base was a mad mans creation!
But it played second fiddle, so the threat didnt have that weight to it.
Other than that, thought it was a great 1st film to kick in this new era.. now it feels disjointed. My concern now is, Disney don’t need to back themselves into a corner saying its the end of the saga. But they have, so most think Ep 9 is it. So the pressures doubly on to get it right.

But Rey can’t be Luke or Leias and Kylo cannot be redeemed. Just cant happen.
Don't have a clue where the story is going, obviously, hoping for a good one.

posted on 24/4/19

Stringer

Kylo redeeming himself after killing Han essentially erases everything in episode 8. The one gold thing about 8 for me was Kylos arc. Bring back the knights of ren and lets see what evil deeds they carry out.

I have no connection to Rey as a character. She has been under developed and over powered which annoys me more than anything else in this new series. After all years of training the jedi and sith had to do, and Luke's journey in the originals, it is a mockery for her to just magically gain these powers purely because she is the first female lead in Star Wars.

posted on 24/4/19

“Bring back the knights of ren and lets see what evil deeds they carry out.”

How can they bring them back when we haven’t even seen them yet?

posted on 24/4/19

Kylo not being redeemed is just a personal choice, cos he killed Han.. (soz spoilers).
He can be redeemed, i may not like it.
However, Rey being a Skywalker is lazy to me, especially as in 2 films no one has even suggested it, and it would feel like cop out.

posted on 24/4/19

comment by Tiddles (U17634)
“Bring back the knights of ren and lets see what evil deeds they carry out.”

How can they bring them back when we haven’t even seen them yet?
Saw them in the FA. Well a brief glimpse of them

comment by Naby8 (U6997)

posted on 24/4/19

I still think Rey being Palpatine's descendant is a real possibility. Makes sense of the laugh in the trailer and would at least go some way to explaining her natural power.

Also an interesting tap into Kylo's fear - he's worried he'll never live up to the legacy of Vader and then up rocks the grand-daughter of Palpatine/Sidious! Could explain why he lied to her and said she was a nobody.

Either way, I don't think there's any redeeming of Kylo. Perhaps if they'd kept Snoke alive then Kylo could have turned back to the light to beat Snoke but since they killed him off (total waste of a character btw) then Kylo is the only villain in the story.

posted on 24/4/19

Killing off snoke was the biggest travesty of this trilogy.

posted on 24/4/19

Not really. He had more or less the same amount of screen time as Palpatine in the original trilogy. They just killed him off a movie earlier

posted on 24/4/19

Palpatine wasn't needed when you had arguably the greatest villain off all time in vader, leading the first two movies.

They set snoke up in FA and he was building up to become a truly menacing figure, before they killed him off. Kylo doesn't have Vaders presence nor his menace, he is just a petulant vader wannabe who was bested by an untrained force user.

posted on 24/4/19

Yeah but i just don’t know why people get so mad about snoke when he was the emperor character of this trilogy and they used him in pretty much the same way as the emperor.

I thought kylo killing him was cool anyway, further solidified his descent into the dark side for me. The one thing that i won’t be able to take is if they do try to redeem Kylo, at every juncture he has chosen the dark side. There is no light left in him, have him be bad this whole time please.