Interesting times

posted on 13/5/19

See, this is what football is really about: nervous anticipation and acrimonious in-fighting. Equilibrium is restored to the universe.

posted on 13/5/19

playing Pogba in a deeper position

.............

This definitely has to stop.

posted on 13/5/19

If Pogba does indeed push for a move to Real I really hope he goes in the first week of the window and we bring in his replacement early

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Red Russian (U4715)
comment by Diafol Coch 77 (U2462)
I'm looking forward to next season too.

I'm looking forward, hopefully, to us buying players who are hungry for success and see us as the pinnacle (for them anyway).

With 3/4 good signings, and much better conditioning, I can see us challenging for top 4 and perhaps even the top 2 if one of them have a dip (Liverpool most likely I think).

I think it's always kind of exciting when things have been bad and there's a change of direction coming. Not because there's a guarantee that things will improve, but it's a start of something new, which could point us back in the right direction.

I didn't feel that this time last season. Once Mourinho se the tone of a summer of negativity and not getting what he wanted, it was very hard to envisage the season ahead as one of renewal.
I agree. The signings will set the tone I feel. Whilst I think we need some energy a few older heads wouldn't go amiss either.

Kung Fu. Yes playing Young was worrying. The only thing I'm clinging onto with that is that Ole wanted to show some players that giving 100% and being professional is worth something in his book. Young clearly wasn't good enough these last few months but I'd never doubt his commitment.

comment by Shugs (U14253)

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I wonder how the Raiola ban will affect the window as a whole

posted on 13/5/19

Very good post RR. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out. I'm quite optimistic about it, Ole could turn out better than some believe, I do think the first ten games are crucial, get a good start and build some momentum, or lose a few and confidence leak away.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I agree that any players not fully committed should go. If he does want to go we should issue an ultimatum to Real (or whoever) saying this is how much we want. Don't want this circus over summer.

posted on 13/5/19

omment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)

........................

Not sure Pogba is what Real need right now. They need to find someone to score their goals.

posted on 13/5/19

I'm always pumped for the next season... I have a fine blend of optimism, stupidity and an understanding of how fast football can change.

I think, by the end of this summer, we will have a DoF in place and him and Ole, along with Phelan, will all be pulling in the same direction. Get the fitness up and the right ins/outs and you never know.

.........................

I think getting the right person in as DoF or Technical Director or what ever term is being used is more important than any other signing.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I wonder how the Raiola ban will affect the window as a whole
Too much being made of this. Dont think it will make much difference at all.

If Pogba or anyone else is that desperate for a move they will get someone else on board. It's not like there'll be a shortage of agents looking to make a hell of a lot of money.

posted on 13/5/19

Agree with the part about us having to put up with it and how most fans have it the same or worse, and agree that the negative articles are mildly irritating.

I can’t help but disagree that these are exciting or interesting times though. We’re in a mess on the pitch. Herrera wasn’t even in the top ten players we should have been losing, yet he’s gone. We’ve no leaders and no consistently solid CB partnership. Pogba and Martial are talented but look disinterested too often; Rashford is raw and frustrating, though I like him a lot. Even De Gea now looks shaky and could well be off. And this doesn’t touch on RB and RW, which many feel are the key problem areas. In short, there is not one department we can feel is “sorted out”. Possibly LB with Shaw.

Am I bothered? Not in any serious way - as you say, I’m a grown man with more important things than football to think about. But the above is just how I see it.

I think Solskjaer was a brave choice (perhaps too much credit there) and I’m glad he got it. I hope youth gets a chance next year, as well as the manager. However, at this juncture it’s hard not to see a season of struggle - unless we really do have a stellar summer in the transfer market.

On the plus side, I think Chelsea and especially Arsenal have some work to do, so unless a Wolves or Everton etc overtakes is, we can still aim for top 4 and take it from there.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I wonder how the Raiola ban will affect the window as a whole
Too much being made of this. Dont think it will make much difference at all.

No way does Pogba ditch Raiola. Like him or loathe him, if you are a footballer he’s one of the agents you want in your corner.

posted on 13/5/19

I will say this again on Agents. If FIFA want to do something good for football, make the players pay "their Agent" fees. Not the clubs.

Clubs should only pay an agent fee if they employ the agent.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Ed The King Woodward (U10026)
comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I wonder how the Raiola ban will affect the window as a whole
Too much being made of this. Dont think it will make much difference at all.

He wont necessarily ditch him but Im sure they'll be able to work a way round it.

posted on 13/5/19

I’m no so sure, because Raiola will lose money if he’s not part of any transfers.

posted on 13/5/19

Also Raiolas ban I believe just happens to run until the day after the English window shuts. The Spanish and Italian windows I think shut a few weeks later at the end of August?

Gives them a window to get it done.

posted on 13/5/19

It's handy his ban doesn't extend to after the transfer window. I'd hate to see him missing out on some hard earned money as well as helping a lot of transfers run smoothly this summer.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Vidicschin (U3584)

Clubs should only pay an agent fee if they employ the agent.
Why would they do that? It’s a great idea, but everything uefa do is geared to wards making obscene money..

comment by Prem (U7618)

posted on 13/5/19

comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Ed The King Woodward (U10026)
comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Robb Ferguson (U21234)
I wonder how the Raiola ban will affect the window as a whole
Too much being made of this. Dont think it will make much difference at all.

Like an indirect third party negotiator?

Or is that not allowed?

Not fully clued up on transfers rules and regulations.

posted on 13/5/19

Why does my comment keep being rejected by the spam filter?

posted on 13/5/19

Agents are also working on behalf of clubs so that’s unlikely.

posted on 13/5/19

look what's breaking on Sky, it's not even Fletcher's name that's the depressing part either. It's what the 'technical director' position is supposed to be. I hate this club man.

posted on 13/5/19

comment by Martial FC (U11781)

It’s almost like the club are wumming us now.

I love Ole and Fletch. But are they the best options out there? Nope. Would anyone else hire them for positions at other big clubs? Nope.

posted on 13/5/19

Yeah, you really love Ole with the respect you’ve shown for him on here the last few weeks.