06 / 06 / 1944

POV

Zach.

Zanuck actually had 4 directors one for the British, American, French,

and German episodes.

He had a legion of military historians as well.

He thought it should be made while most of the participants were

still alive.

posted on 6/6/19

Italian guy at work is getting a bit wound up how no-one mentions the Italian partisans.

Or maybe he's just bitter that they lost.

posted on 6/6/19

Worked with an old boy many years ago who was in the Norwegian resistance - some of the photos he showed me showed him and his group during the war - all ages and loads of kids - armed to the teeth ! Did a fair bit of research with him and found loads of info - incredible bravery.

posted on 6/6/19

comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)

Or maybe he's just bitter that they lost.

Great reverse gear in their tanks, can do 90mph.

In pub greeting Watching Normandy Veterans laying wreaths

posted on 6/6/19

comment by Zachsda(The Ulcer Gazelle) (U1850)
In pub greeting Watching Normandy Veterans laying wreaths

posted on 6/6/19

I like that we've still got a few of them alive and they generally go with the "war is hell" outlook. Cuts through some of the jingoistic crap you get. Should always be memorials to the dead not celebrations of victory.

posted on 6/6/19

comment by Drunken Hobo (U7360)
Some sad but lovely memories were spoken of
Fewer of them every year

posted on 6/6/19

comment by The Mighty Quinn (U4099)

Bluebell.

If thae fvkers had won there would be no JA.

But we’d be saying Ja

posted on 6/6/19

I can't watch it. The stupidity/bravery of those teenagers and youngsters who walked into that Hell has always, and will always, frighten the life out of me.

Quite appalling but also totally and thoroughly heroic.

Respect.

Thank you.

posted on 6/6/19

comment by Tully 1 (U20686)

Quite appalling but also totally and thoroughly heroic.

Respect.

Thank you.
It was as emotional as fook
Fookin walking and wading towards bullets

Foddy

The Norwegian Resistance was also embedded in Scotland as it was the

closest piece of free land to them.Ties were established between

individuals and families that are still going today generations later.

posted on 6/6/19

A lot of the training for the cliff assaults also took place in Scotland at

Arisaig and in Stirlingshire. Some lads lost their lives in this as the

conditions were deliberately difficult eg darkness, storm conditions.

posted on 6/6/19

comment by The Mighty Quinn (U4099)

Foddy

The Norwegian Resistance was also embedded in Scotland as it was the

closest piece of free land to them.Ties were established between

individuals and families that are still going today generations later.

I love the 633 Squadron
Went to see that in The Rex Cumbernauld Rd wi my palswhen I was a wean

posted on 6/6/19

comment by Tully 1 (U20686)

Quite appalling but also totally and thoroughly heroic.

Respect.

Thank you.

Fear is a reaction

Courage is a decision

Full respect to those who had the courage to face our enemies

posted on 6/6/19

Zach - another classic Goldie.

Piper Bill Millin has fascinated me since I was at primary. He was with

Lovat's Commandos. Churchill had ordered that no bagpipes should be

played as he thought as men congregated near the piper this could

lead to higher casualties. Lovat's brigade was technically a private army

so he ignored it. Lovat allowed the Free French to step ashore first,

accompanied by Piper Millin. He played continously during the mayhem.

Unarmed, he could easily have been taken out but the Germans were so

astonished that none could bring themselves to fire on him.

He died in 2010.

posted on 6/6/19

The single is heartbreaking.

War is a pure snider.

posted on 6/6/19

Thanks for that Pointy - that's a Keepie.

I've spent 40+ years scanning thousands of hours of tape to see if I can

find ma Da. No luck yet but my son's mad about History he's same as

me he'll carry it on when I go.

posted on 6/6/19

Great post TMQ, we owe them so much for their sacrifice.