Stand up comedy GOAT’s

posted on 27/5/20

A lot of great comedians are terrible stand-up performers.

Billy Connelly

Kevin Bridges

Bill Bailey

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Cal Neva (U11544)
Comedy like music is very subjective.
it really is, like music and beauty matter of opinion.like my list, i used to think pryor was hilariou now i only put his on for nostalgia.

comment by Scarf (U21116)

Seymour Mace.

Funniest man alive.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by manusince52 (U9692)
Bill Bailey
Ben Bailey is funnier

posted on 27/5/20

Im actually hilarious. But could never do stand up.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Geoff Tipps (U1449)
comment by manusince52 (U9692)
Bill Bailey
Ben Bailey is funnier
No he's not.

posted on 27/5/20

I'd hate to do stand-up - it's a real art. I'm OK with wit, sarcasm, wordplay etc but stand-up is totally different. If your delivery is wrong - if you stumble over a word, even - the effect is lost. It's one of the things that Jimmy Carr is so good at - everything is just perfect and polished, as well as being very funny indeed.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by manusince52 (U9692)
comment by Geoff Tipps (U1449)
comment by manusince52 (U9692)
Bill Bailey
Ben Bailey is funnier
No he's not.
I think he is

Comment deleted by Site Moderator

posted on 27/5/20

Sean Lock’s a good standup.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Fourzah (U22366)
comment by Geoff Tipps (U1449)
comment by manusince52 (U9692)
comment by Geoff Tipps (U1449)
comment by manusince52 (U9692)
Bill Bailey
Ben Bailey is funnier
No he's not.
I think he is
is that y u said he was?
Yer

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)

Agree. I used to regularly go to a comedy club in London where every week they’d have an open mic night and some people were horrifically Unfunny, I respected their bravery but there really is a funny gene and if you don’t have it you don’t have it

posted on 27/5/20

I love the wit of Lee Mack. Possibly one of the funniest people on TV. So sharp.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Joe The King Exotic (U10026)
Sean Lock’s a good standup.

Good shout. Used to like it when he was on QI as well.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Robb Cummings (U22311)
comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)

You can have it and still fail at stand-up. You have to have the voice, the look, the temperament, the delivery. Some very funny people have none of these.

posted on 27/5/20

I know he's got himself into a lot of trouble recently, but Louie CK's stand up specials are brilliant. Chappelle's recent Netflix shows are in a different planet to a lot of the other stuff out there at the moment. I liked Bill Burr's earlier stuff too, he's still funny, generally, though, you can spend a lot of time binging his appearances on Conan.

In the UK and Ireland, I've always been a fan of Tommy Tiernan, Gervais' foray into stand up produced a series of classic specials too, Animals, Politics, Fame and Science, I might watch Politics again tonight actually, it's been a while.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Robb Cummings (U22311)
Problem with Lee Mack is that he suffers from Paul Merton syndrome
He says something that gets a laugh and then spends the next five minutes milking it to death

posted on 27/5/20

The most recent Chappelle stand up is genuinely brilliant - I recommend it heartily

posted on 27/5/20

Never been a fan of Ricky Gervais as a stand up - his TV shows and podcasts are generally brilliant though.

Cant really give you 'GOATs' because there are just too many, but some of the ones I like at the moment:

Rhod Gilbert
Dara O'Brien
Jason Manford
John Bishop
Kevin Bridges
Paul Choudhry
Romesh
Trevor Noah
Loyiso Gola

I generally dont find American stand ups funny at all. Different type of humour I suppose.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)
comment by Joe The King Exotic (U10026)
Sean Lock’s a good standup.

Good shout. Used to like it when he was on QI as well.
I love his storytelling. They’re so bizarre but bloody hilarious.

posted on 27/5/20

Dylan Moran is a good for similar reasons.

posted on 27/5/20

comment by Joe The King Exotic (U10026)
comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)
comment by Joe The King Exotic (U10026)
Sean Lock’s a good standup.

Good shout. Used to like it when he was on QI as well.
I love his storytelling. They’re so bizarre but bloody hilarious.
Bob Mortimer is great at that when he’s on “Would I lie to you” Greg Davies is good on that show too