Live Election Day Thread

posted on 9/12/19

comment by Cal Neva (U11544)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
comment by Cal Neva (U11544)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
comment by Cal Neva (U11544)
Stopped playing games after Zelda. Think it went downhill after that. But I can waste time for England. Wish I had put in half the time improving my billiards (lost 4 out of 4 in a comp in Leeds yesterday ). Wish I could play guitar like this :

Guitar takes up a lot of my time these days. Been recording a Christmas album to give my secret santa at work recently. I have a terrible singing voice and the lady I have got is going to hate it.
going to get some new gear shortly including a PA other half will be pleased

I'm planning on getting a Les Paul (not a Gibson; I'm not made of money) and some new pedals in the new year when I get my bonus at work. The wife doesn't know that yet though.
I have a strat, a strat copy and an acoustic Yamaha. May get an electro acoustic.

I have a Fender acoustic, strat and Yamaha bass. Also have a ukulele which only really gets played on request at BBQs these days.

posted on 9/12/19

Love playing guitar, takes you out of yourself.

posted on 9/12/19

I must have posted on the guitars and gaming thread.

Both things strange men in their 30s play in their bedroom at mums house.

posted on 9/12/19

comment by HB Fash (U21935)
I must have posted on the guitars and gaming thread.

Both things strange men in their 30s play in their bedroom at mums house.
Yes politics has been withdrawn temporary.

posted on 9/12/19

Guitars and gaming are much better topics than politics. An escape from realising how much this country is facked.

comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Martial FC (U11781)
EU migrants have been able to “treat the UK as if it’s part of their own country” for too long, Boris Johnson said yesterday as he reprised the core message of Vote Leave’s 2016 EU referendum campaign.

This cretin needs removing on Thursday, I can’t stand another 5 years of this
What the fack.

For a good number of them, IT IS THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

Get in the facking sea Nonceson.
My polish friend who is a psychologist and treats addicts, is now married to someone from the UK and has a house and a mortgage. The rhetoric used to disenfranchise such people's sense of belonging is quite saddening.
I have the opposite here.

My Portuguese friends ask me, “When can you officially become one of us then?” and although the various administrative processes (we’ve been through residency, driving licence exchange, business and tax registration, social security, etc. etc.) are cripplingly bureaucratic and sluggish here, I’ve never received, whether face to face or in written advice, any messages from representatives of the state that have been anything other than supportive.

On a different tack, can I ask about the nature of your day-to-day Admin? Are you doing anything in any or all of sales (of your services), process design, software design, coding (front and back end?), database design and build, testing, training, documentation, support?
I don't do much in way of sales, run Google ads and pick the enquiries that look interesting or challenging and ignore the rest.

We do the software design and coding as well as database design and system architecture. Often it might just be advice we charge for.

How many of you on the team? Do you do a lot in terms of documentation (user and technical)?

posted on 9/12/19

comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
I now only play a game called Civilization. It's a turn based game and it's very difficult to stop playing. You always want 'one more turn'.
Me and my housemates used to love it when we were in our early 20s.

So much so that a band we were in back then had a lyric along the lines of:

“I’m on £40 a week and 80 gold a turn” <rofl<

posted on 9/12/19

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
Me and my housemates used to love it when we were in our early 20s.

So much so that a band we were in back then had a lyric along the lines of:

“I’m on £40 a week and 80 gold a turn” <rofl<

It's such a good game. The latest edition is really enjoyable.

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 9/12/19

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Martial FC (U11781)

This cretin needs removing on Thursday, I can’t stand another 5 years of this
What the fack.

For a good number of them, IT IS THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

Get in the facking sea Nonceson.
I have the opposite here.

Depends on how much budget and client timescales. Four of us on current project, leave the documents to the non technical CEO etc. Where possible.

Adders

Do you normally get decent system reqs to work with and do you have an in-house specialist working on that or do you all chip in to help out shaping those with the client?

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 9/12/19

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
Adders

Will probably need to cease saying much more on here. More often than not requirements are non existent and we help drive the shape of the product. It's an expensive way to develop software for sure, but often the entrepreneurs we work with have little more than an idea. The execution and actualisation of the idea is more often organic than formal requirements. Which coming from a defence background, where formal requirements docs were mandatory, you need to be very pragmatic. When folk change their ideas and you have to scrap 1000s of lines of code, it can be tear jerking.

Preference for Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson: 39%
Jeremy Corbyn: 32%

via
@BMGResearch

posted on 9/12/19

Another leaked government document has revealed concerns about potential goods checks between Northern Ireland and Britain after Brexit.

The paper from the Department for Exiting the EU, seen by the BBC, lists preparing for "high levels" of checks as one of the challenges in delivering the government's Brexit deal.

Last week a leaked Treasury analysis contained a similar warning.

Didn't Boris say there will be no checks??

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 9/12/19

comment by Martial FC (U11781)

Last week a leaked Treasury analysis contained a similar warning.

Didn't Boris say there will be no checks??
And is currently saying so

Lewis Goodall @lewis_goodall
Talked to Lab MP in previously solid northern seat yday. Is v worried. Thinks he’ll just about scrape it. Described problems of Corbyn and Brexit on doorstep as being “trapped in a pincer movement” (Corbyn being the bigger problem). Could deal with one or other but not both.

comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
Adders

What you’ve described is the antithesis of everything I ever learned professionally

posted on 9/12/19

Only code I know is the highway code.

posted on 9/12/19

Surely there isn't anyone out there that actually believes there will be no checks between Northern Ireland and Britain. Surely everyone is aware Boris is lying.

posted on 9/12/19

I'd say this interview is revealing but I'm not really sure it is anymore.

posted on 9/12/19

It is however yet another shameful reaction by our Prime Minister to human suffering.

As Corbyn tweeted, he just doesn't care.

posted on 9/12/19

Elsewhere, a short thread by Patrick Harvie, co-leader of the Scottish Greens, on the decision by both Labour and the Tories to delay a budget until February and the impact it'll have on Scotland (and I assume Wales).

TL/DR - Westminster is treating us with contempt.

posted on 9/12/19

comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
I don't think many people care (lying). They'd rather have an incompetent man child as PM than Corbyn.

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 9/12/19

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
Adders

Absolutely. It's not unheard of for me to end up with equity so I can treat the product and care about it as if it was my own and I end up driving the thing. When it's guys quitting their jobs and funding via loans and remortgages etc. The concept of saying to these guys lets spend two months developing formal requirements documents at a cost of £700+ per day,they would turn sheet white. Then there is the "oh sheet!" moment months down the line where a key feature hasn't been captured, or they have a new idea or pivot as a result of a sales meeting. If i started saying they would need to raise a formal requirements change request and then that would need costed and scoped separately they would be inconsolable.

Would.

posted on 9/12/19

comment by Anfield RAP (U2114)

Would.