Live Election Day Thread

comment by Blarmy (U14547)

Neanderthals almost certainly did

posted about 9 hours ago
The so called baby of the house Nadia Whittome is getting alot of publicity as not only is she 23 but also she is giving over half her salary to the poor.

Shes another social justice campaigner whos probably got Jeremy Corbyn wallpaper, an XR badge and a never kissed a Tory t-shirt. I fear we are going to see alot of her over the next 5 years.

Giving half your salary to the poor is definitely something to criticise someone for.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
posted about 9 hours ago

Don’t know it’s overly mockable
Any time I’ve seen her interviewed she seems honest and wants to help make life better for some
She’s young yet as most politicians were at some point in their career
We are not America so a trump like figure appearing out of the blue is unlikely so our politicians often start young

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Zachsda(Proudly sat with the sheriff) (U1850)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
posted about 9 hours ago

Don’t know it’s overly mockable
She’s young yet as most politicians were at some point in their career

I think with the average English constituency having over 72k people mp's are drastically underpaid. When an individual is representing that many people 250k would be a fairer salary.

I think giving over half her salary to the poor is an attempt to give herself the moral high ground and far easier for a young person without a family to support to do than most.

I say again the minimum age for an mp should be 35 so some life experience has been gained.

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Zachsda(Proudly sat with the sheriff) (U1850)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
posted about 9 hours ago

Don’t know it’s overly mockable
She’s young yet as most politicians were at some point in their career

That’ll work the number of folk I know who are over 35 and aren’t geniuses is numerous
Maybe in a democracy anyone can stand and we get who we vote for

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Zachsda(Proudly sat with the sheriff) (U1850)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
posted about 9 hours ago

Don’t know it’s overly mockable
She’s young yet as most politicians were at some point in their career

This is just silly on all levels.

Given some of the privaliged upbringings many MPs have, I don't think some young lefty types should be automatically excluded based on age.

And why 35 exactly, and not 85?

Also, you could make that claim about any gesture of goodwill - this only makes yourself a cynic. I respect anyone who makes this decision

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.

posted on 20/1/20

“Oxford Migration Observatory research on attitudes to immigration finds more than a third of British people would want no Nigerians or Pakistanis to come to the UK.”

Well, that more-than-a-third had better prepare themselves, because thanks to Brexit, the proportion of immigrants from those countries is about to increase

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Jenius99 (U4918)

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.
😂😂

posted on 20/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)

They're in for a pretty rude surprise when everything they think they were getting from this vote not only isn't delivered but their own problems get an awful lot worse

Morons

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Scruttocks (U19684)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)

Morons

The worry is that their lack of understanding leads to more populist politicians getting in when they don't get what they think they are getting.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Jenius99 (U4918)

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.
😂😂
Footballers get that a week.

If you represent over 72k people you should be well paid and have some life experience. I don't want my mp to be 23 and straight out of University.

I think most people in the real world would agree with me.

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Jenius99 (U4918)

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.
😂😂
Footballers get that a week.

I think most people in the real world would agree with me.

Yep. That's why she didn't get voted in.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)

Read this the other day on Australia. The aussies' rejected the UK's offer of FoM between the two countries:

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Jenius99 (U4918)

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.
😂😂
Footballers get that a week.

I think most people in the real world would agree with me.
Lol.

And most people in the real world feel that MPs should be paid more than CEOs? 😂

posted on 20/1/20

Someone who is 32 obviously doesn't live in the real world.

How about we bar the under 35s from voting too?

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Tamwolf (U17286)
comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Jenius99 (U4918)

In what world?

The average for a CEO in this country is £120k a year. MPs are not footballers.
😂😂
Footballers get that a week.

I think most people in the real world would agree with me.

Yep. That's why she didn't get voted in.
Oh come on.

In certain constituencies a 3 legged donkey with a red rousette would get in. How else can anybody explain that Abbott and Thornberry keep getting elected?

posted on 20/1/20

I wouldn't be able to run as an MP. Have a university degree. Experienced unemployment and signing on during a recession. I have been working for the last 11 years having started in a factory and worked my way up. Owned my own home with a mortgage for 8 years.

Yet because I'm 32 I have no life experience and haven't lived in the real world.

Oh come on.

Perhaps they are good local MPs?

Or maybe all of their constituency don't live in real world like you.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
Someone who is 32 obviously doesn't live in the real world.

How about we bar the under 35s from voting too?
I think 21 for voting would be better than 18, the whole votes for 16 year olds thing is ridiculous.

posted on 20/1/20

About time we stopped those 18 year olds being able to vote to influence their own future.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Tamwolf (U17286)

Ok you've convinced me, I'll drop it to 30 but thats it no lower.

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
Someone who is 32 obviously doesn't live in the real world.

How about we bar the under 35s from voting too?
I'm sorry but if you are going to bar the under 35s from being an MP, then you will find it hard to justify giving them the vote too.

Likewise, why 35 anyway - you could argue using your reasoning that only the over 85s have enough life experience for politics, as they have lived through all the stages of life.

Whereas someone who is between 40 and 50 don't have these experiences.

posted on 20/1/20

This just sounds like jealously tbh

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
comment by Tamwolf (U17286)

Ok you've convinced me, I'll drop it to 30 but thats it no lower.

So taking 2 years off those stats is enough to tell me I hadn't lived in the real world or had any life experience?

Seems like you just want to take the vote and the opportunity to run from demographics who may disagree with you.