Live Election Day Thread

This is a novelty. MLAs at work:

Who thought after years of division here, the UK's membership of the EU could unite every single political party here

posted on 20/1/20

comment by What would Stuart Pearce do? Better than Gozer the Gozerian (U3126)
This is a novelty. MLAs at work:

Still cannot believe that 44% of those who voted in NI, voted to leave.

WWSPD, do you know if, or have you ever had reason to suspect that some did so in an attempt to break up the union?

posted on 20/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by What would Stuart Pearce do? Better than Gozer the Gozerian (U3126)
This is a novelty. MLAs at work:

Still cannot believe that 44% of those who voted in NI, voted to leave.

I had suspicions some within the DUP were aware that leaving the EU may glean closer ties with the UK than Ireland. And possibly a 'hardening' of the border.

Which will come to the fore again during trade negotiations.

Both SF and DUP have exploited Brexit (hardly surprising tbh). SF now have a border poll firmly in their sights.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by PawlBawron (U1055)
An example of money wastage in the NHS has just been posted through my letterbox.

I give blood and always receive a reminder by text just before my next appointment however I have just received notification by letter that my next donation (due in March) has been cancelled and they will contact me soon with a new date.

Why not text/email me this information and save themselves paperwork and postal costs?

Presumably everybody else who was attending that session has had the same letter.

As I keep saying sorting out the NHS is about much more than money.

I broke my ankle last November. 3rd time I've been in a leg cast and much to my bemusement this is the only time I have recieved written doctors notes delivered home after every single appointment. Didn't ask for them and found them to be of little use anyway, since they were a third person interpretation of voice notes the doctor made while seeing me.

posted on 20/1/20

"I was also told by the doctor "I have to offer you blood thinners to lessen the risk of DVT". When I asked why this wasn't the case on the other two occassions he basically said it was a new practice which in general is a waste of time and money."

I'd guess the NHS got sued at some point between your 2nd and 3rd experiances. So the new regime is less of a waste of money than the old.

Most things that are wrong in the world can be traced back to a lawyer or an accountant.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by RonAlvinho - Victoria Concordia Pathetic (U6117)
comment by PawlBawron (U1055)

As I keep saying sorting out the NHS is about much more than money.

I read somewhere that it costs the NHS roughly £1 everytime a letter is sent out. Just imagine how much money is being haemorrhaged on unnecessary post.

You don't hear that clown Ashworth going on about that when he's bleating on about the NHS being underfunded do you.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by What would Stuart Pearce do? Better than Goze... (U3126)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by What would Stuart Pearce do? Better than Gozer the Gozerian (U3126)
This is a novelty. MLAs at work:

Still cannot believe that 44% of those who voted in NI, voted to leave.

Which will come to the fore again during trade negotiations.

SF Have played this better than the DUP IMO
They see a Utd Ireland down the line

posted on 20/1/20

comment by HenrysCat (U3608)

I used to work in the medicolegal industry, and you’re absolutely right; it’s very likely a result of defensive medicine.

Which is an absolutely ridiculous paradigm that has grown out of the UK’s spiralling American-style litigation culture.

The government should take a lead out of New Zealand’s book. There they have a no-fault national compensation scheme, which entirely undermines medical negligence lawsuits, ensures that patients suffering injuries related to medical and dental care receive proportionate payments and quickly, and keeps taxpayers’ money out of the pockets of ambulance-chasing lawyers.

When I left the industry, close to 50% of the money paid out by the NHSLA (which manages the fund of taxpayers’ money used to defend, settle and pay judgments relating to NHS negligence lawsuits) was ending up in the pockets of lawyers. Which is obviously indefensible.

posted on 20/1/20

Chinese state media report that the head of a Chinese government expert team Zhong Nanshan says human-to-human transmission has been confirmed in an outbreak of a new coronavirus

Is this bad??

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Greenwood FC (U11781)

Is this bad??

David Baddiel
@Baddiel
Quite a lot of distracting stuff going on whilst no-one is talking about coronavirus. I'm afraid that is what happens in the films.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
comment by Greenwood FC (U11781)

Is this bad??

David Baddiel
@Baddiel
get Dustin Hoffman in

posted on 20/1/20

Sir Keir Starmer is the first Labour leadership candidate to pass the final hurdle to get onto the ballot.

The Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers (Usdaw) says it is backing the shadow Brexit secretary.

This gives Sir Keir the support required - that of three unions and affiliate groups representing 5% of the membership - to get to the final stage.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Greenwood FC (U11781)

Not a labour fan but he appears to be the best option for labour
The whole they need a woman thing is bull it worked out well for the Libdems all sit there’s was a self serving gob$hite

posted on 20/1/20

Twitter: what is the weirdest date you have ever been on?

holly x
@hollyshortall
23h

When I was a wee emo this guy asked me out - I didn’t hear from him on the day till he texted me saying sorry & that his bat had died😪 so I got him a condolence card & a present and took it to the date like I’m so sorry about ur pet bat & he was like no I meant my phone battery

21.9K Retweets
262.6K Likes

posted on 20/1/20

I’m confused, is this a WUM or is she genuinely thick?

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Greenwood FC (U11781)

I’m confused, is this a WUM or is she genuinely thick?
That must be a p1sstake

posted on 20/1/20

Boris Johnson has suffered a defeat in the House of Lords as peers backed an amendment to his Brexit legislation.

The upper chamber backed a cross-party amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement Bill on the issue of EU citizens' rights, by 270 votes to 229.

It calls for EU citizens lawfully residing in Britain to be allowed physical proof of their status.

Tory Britain

posted on 20/1/20

Stormont has rejected the government's EU withdrawal bill after debating it for the first time since restoring the assembly.

The position was agreed without dissent following a near three-hour debate in Northern Ireland.

It is one of the first substantive acts of business since the Northern Ireland assembly started sitting again just over a week ago.

NI united in their hatred of Brexit

posted on 21/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by HenrysCat (U3608)

And as if by magic:

Someone at the BBC is following the thread...

posted on 21/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by HenrysCat (U3608)

And as if by magic:

Someone at the BBC is following the thread...

posted on 21/1/20

The most farcical thing about Brexit logic (for lack of a better word) is that those most in favour claim Brexit is worth the short/medium term economic hit in order to be in a better position in a few decades time.

Yet they are also the ones who claim we can't properly address climate destruction because it could have a short/medium term economic hit... utter caaants.

posted on 21/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
comment by HenrysCat (U3608)

And as if by magic:

Someone at the BBC is following the thread...
I thought it was weird this morning, it was the top story on R4 news.

posted on 21/1/20

comment by Scruttocks (U19684)

For the life of me I can't comprehend how downgrading our relationship with our partners will lead to economic prosperity.