Live Election Day Thread

comment by Blarmy (U14547)

I wish

comment by Hector (U3606)

On that we agree!

posted on 24/1/20

comment by My name’s t!tty and I’m a recoveri... (U11882)
comment by My name’s t!tty and I’m a recovering gobshiite. I actually respect and admire all opposition fans, but particularly my United brethren. Please ignore my rants, I just can’t help it. (U11882)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by Insert random username (U10647)
I'm aware and I'm not against eating meat. I'm against it being consumed lunch and dinner 7 times a week,

If we all cut down to 3 portions of meat a week some studies say we could reduce farmland by 75% globally.

Thats a hell of a lot of land to reforest, capturing carbon, helping to reduce global temperatures, providing habitat for wildlife, nature and recreational spaces.

Being dismissive of the cost of eating meat is the height of folly, its not just the 30g of protein, it's the 300g of protein grown to create that 30, it's the tractor emissions, water usage, pesticides that go in to growing all those beans, it's the land required for those beans..

Instead, those beans could feed 10 people their 30g of protein. As i said, repeatedly I LOVE meat, but you cannot deny the arithmetic, nor the other consequences. Agriculture is the biggest source of carbon emissions, and a huge part of that is growing 10x the crops to create lamb and beef, pork is a much better converter of protein, 3g for every 1g of meat in fact, chicken is also much better than lamb or beef.

Eggs are of the best sources of protein per kg of CO2e
There is no reason to cut down on meat in general and more reason to cut down on beef, lamb and pork. Eggs, cow's milk, poultry and fish are on a par or only a bit higher in environmental impact compared to vegan foods like legumes, nuts and seeds. This is why people are so distrustful because there is clearly an anti all meat vegan agenda hidden in the environmentalist movement that has nothing to do with wanting to save the environment and everything to do with wanting to force their vegan cult on people. If a prominent vegan came out and said "continue eating poultry and fish as normal but cut down on red meats” then that would have a much more positive impact. It would come across as genuinely sincere and not done anti meat crusade with a handy environmentalism cause to hide behind

You are fundamentally ignoring some of the science there.

I'll reiterate too, I'm not a vegan, and there is absoloutely a need to cut down on meat in general, pigs are the most efficient converters of protein yet you lump them in with ruminant and give a pass to the less efficient poultry..

Sorry going off memory from a graphic I saw pork might be low impact too. The point is there is zero need to cut down these meats as they are on a par or only slightly higher than vegan foods.
I did remember correctly, pork is bad. Poultry is better than rice.

This source if anything says the exact opposite of what you are saying

Quote:

"Increased uptake of plant-based diets in New Zealand could substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions while greatly improving population health and saving the healthcare system billions of dollars in the coming decades, according to a new University of Otago study"

posted on 24/1/20

"International research has highlighted the climate and health co-benefits that arise from consuming a diet that is rich in plant foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes. We wanted to understand if this holds true here in New Zealand, and to tease out which eating patterns could offer the greatest co-benefits in this context."

Weare in trouble

posted on 24/1/20

This is directly from the source you use to refute veganism?

Is it cult like to listen to academics, or is it more cult like to ignore their conclusions, and instead pick and choose their evidence to reach your premeditated bias?

posted on 24/1/20

I couldn't create a balanced diet that kept me happy, mentally and physically without meat.

posted on 24/1/20

Also, milk and yoghurt are byproducts of the meat industry, and health wise neither should be make up a substantial part of your diet.

posted on 24/1/20

The lengths people go in this debate to debunk veganism...

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted about a minute ago
That's fair enough - lots of people can, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice.

comment by Hector (U3606)

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
posted less than a minute ago
The lengths people go in this debate to debunk veganism...
I always just assumed it was a personal choice

comment by Hector (U3606)

Snap!

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Hector (U3606)
Snap!

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted about a minute ago

I was vegetarian about two years, but I couldn't keep my mental health and physical health (was very obese until 20) balanced without meat in the end.

Moral compromise - probably. But we all make moral compromises every day.

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
The lengths people go in this debate to debunk veganism...
No where near the lengths people go to to force it on others.

posted on 24/1/20

Why pork looks so bad on that link titty: "The latest figures from May this year show 42.4 per cent of imported pork came from Spain, 12.8 per cent from Finland and 10.4 per cent each from the United States and Canada."

They produce less than 45% of their own meat the rest is shipped to them from the above countries in refrigerated tankers... Thats the issue, eat local is a huge part of the puzzle...

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
This is directly from the source you use to refute veganism?

The point I was trying to make was a compromise that 90 % of the population will follow is much better for the environment than full on go full vegan or you're literally killing everyone thing that more and more people are saying that only 10% of the population will follow.

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted about a minute ago
I’ve never found it difficult, tbh.

When I do decide to eat fish or seafood (probably once a fortnight or so) or red meat (once every three months or so), I make sure it’s going to be super high quality food that I’m going to really enjoy.

The weeks in between aren’t difficult.

Health and fitness wise it’s easy. When you have examples of elite professional sportspeople in just about every sport and athletic discipline adhering to vegan diets, that tells you all you need to know about the body’s supposed inherent need to consume meat.

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
Dairy isn't a side product in any way, it's a different industry, with different breeds and little to no crossover.

It also is a weird one, again, grass fed dairy has a huge role to play in a healthy global climate, cheese is "milks leap towards immortality" and plays a huge part in sustainable local food supplies.

Dairy is also a decent source of different proteins including casein, which helps regulate sleep. It's by no means a perfect industry, but could easily have a place in a utopian world with some alterations.

posted on 24/1/20

comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
posted about a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted about a minute ago
I’ve never found it difficult, tbh.

The weeks in between aren’t difficult.

I used to feel the same way as blue, that's why I went meat 3x a week for a good 6 months to a year, now it's not an issue, it's a treat, and I look forward to it instead of seeing it as a staple.

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Insert random username (U10647)

This.

Eat local and eat in seasonal. If you have to eat imported foods, look for those that will have been shipped rather than flown.

Like bananas

posted on 24/1/20

Veganism is a perfectly reasonable lifestyle choice..

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted less than a minute ago
Veganism is a perfectly reasonable lifestyle choice..

Thanks NPE

And Insert good points too

posted on 24/1/20

comment by Insert random username (U10647)
comment by rosso is done with this (U17054)
posted about a minute ago
comment by Black Hawk (U16342)
comment by Blue in the face (U22288)
posted about a minute ago
I’ve never found it difficult, tbh.

The weeks in between aren’t difficult.

I also appreciate that all bodies are different, and that people have different physiological and nutritional needs.