Live Election Day Thread

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

NPE, did you end up getting to the Thunberg comments or the excess deaths topic?

I likely overloaded you with links to an overload of data.

If not then all cool. I'd rather not go back and read 80 pages of circumcision chats looking for your comments if you hadn't replied

comment by Blarmy (U14547)

*wary

comment by Dave (U11711)
"I grew up as a fantasy and sci fi nerd, try loving books by Orson Scott Card or Isaac Asimov before you wonder whether JKR boilerplate progressive views are beyond the pale."

I have read a lot of P.G. Wodehouse (my dad has about 50 books) and I got such a shock in my early 20s when PSmith goes to New York and multiple characters are calling others the N- word.

I didn't know what happened to the gloriously witty and generally light hearted writer to start with the racist stuff.

Dad told me to find out when it was actually written before apportioning judgement. It was an important point to consider in hindsight.

I understand what you mean, which is why I have mixed views on statue dismantling going on across the Western world. What do we remember and define people by? Do we remember them for what is typical of their period or atypical?

On the case of JKR, where we disagree - hopefully respectfully despite my rude comments about Emma Watson - is that I am really comfortable associating feminists like her concerned about the erasure of biology and sexuality from discussions of womanhood with far-right bigots who just want to attack people for being different.

I support gender self-ID for adults, I will call anyone their preferred him/her pronoun and I would have no issue with the nHS funding gender reassignment.

My worry is the use of irreversible drugs on children - I think this will cause quite the reckoning.

I also resent the weird merge of s*x and gender as being identical terms when they are different. I also loathe the imposition of language terminology (I am not 'cis'.

Also, I do share the concern of feminists that transgenderism is resulting in conforming gender stereotypes and actually shallowing the pool of what femininity is.

On top of that, most people base anti-bigotry on the concept of immutable characteristics.

In other words, do not mock or criticise people for aspects of their appearance or identity that are not in their control. If gender is fluid this basis is undermined. If we are no longer 'born this way' but instead can change our identities based on social constructs or what our mind tells us, then what is there to stop people declaring themselves black? After all isn't the difference biologically between a man and a woman is vaster than that between a white man and a black man - where the chief separation is pigmentation.

comment by Dave (U11711)

I likely overloaded you with links to an overload of data.

I apologise, I will trawl back tomorrow morning, I must have missed them. Sorry.

* I am really uncomfortable - not comfortable

comment by Dave (U11711)
comment by NPE - “douche in generel” (U22288)
comment by Dave (U11711)
comment by Blarmy (U14547)
Blarmy,

I responded about your Frankenstein mosquitoes from Florida a couple of weeks ago but I missed a week of comments since so may have missed your follow-up if there was one.
nah there wasn't

id only ask if there are ecosystem concerns
There most definitely are concerns.

In this instance though, I think that the company has done a really good job of the science from what I have seen.

I'm conflicted on the topic of GM. There are many positives when done right, but potential for Chernobyl-esque disasters if not.

It is likely a topic that will become a major debate in mainstream media and politics in the near future.

Climate change and the decline of our biodiversity will accelerate the urgency of the discussion I imagine.
100%! Nailed it.

Broken clock twice strikes right a day lol

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

I once had to remove a tick that had burrowed into a kids scalp when he was asleep overnight when at a highschool camp in remote bushland

It was very funny in hindsight. The guy was a real city kid and was sooooo carful and cautious about everything yet ended up with the worst experience

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

comment by NPE - “douche in generel” (U22288)
comment by Dave (U11711)

I likely overloaded you with links to an overload of data.

Please don't do that. I will be able to find the pages and share a link later for you. Saves a heap of time.

comment by Dave (U11711)

Lucky he didn't cry at least, it is really easy to panic when a kid cries and you are trying to help them.

When it comes to medical procedures, you may be happy to note I had a non-cancer medical issue which was resolved by a colonoscopy, followed by a secondary procedure where the doctor shove a tube the size of a hosepipe up my arris and shot about a litre of gel into my bowels!

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Oh he was crying. Stated bawling his eyes out and the teachers were just as panicky.

comment by Dave (U11711)

Ah, where you inscrutable and calm as I suspected ?

My Mum was a teaching assistant, she taught me the key when tending to a kid was not to panic as they would only get worse.

If you are wondering why I spent so much time with kids - I helped out at a primary school as a teenager.

comment by Hector (U3606)

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

I'm having to look up what terf and cis mean, really wish I hadn't, some times it is blissfull being an ignoramus.

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

comment by Hector (U3606)

TERF - trans exclusionary radical feminist

cis - heterosexual man

I really resent the imposition of the word 'cis'.

I accept there are feminists who slide into bigotry on trans issues. I don't include JK Rowling in that though.

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Sorry - I mean cis is masculine or feminine genderer, not heterosexual.

Got my words mixed up in my head.

posted 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Hec, you're not alone, mate.

The first time I heard someone talk about being cis I was so confused.

I was too embarrassed to ask whether they were using it in the organic chemistry context and why was conformational isomerism important, perhaps some measure of symmetry for perception of attraction?

Or were they describing themselves as some sort of upstream non-coding gene expression regulation factor which obviously begged the follow-up question of how does one account for the TREs which are also essential components for gene expression and life. One cannot simply "cis"!

Needless to say, I'm very glad that I didn't ask which cis he was referring to and why...

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by NPE - “douche in generel” (U22288)
comment by Dave (U11711)

This is a really interesting comment touching on a number of different themes that I've addressed in the upcoming article.

My knowledge and understanding of the socio-cultural theories and schools of thought relating to gender that I've seen you & BH (in particular) and others discuss in the past is very limited.

In saying that, when I see issues clearly articulated, as you've done above, I find that quite a few seem to be rather easily explained or disproved by biology.

The biology is at times extraordinarily complex and dynamic; however this dynamic systems complexity actually provides the framework to rationalise how and why seemingly incompatible biological sax and gender constructs are causally related.

I definitely don't have the practical solutions for society to move forward, but I'm confident that as our biological knowledge continues to improve, social issues regarding gender will be resolved.

I've bookmarked this page and will go through many of these points you raise in detail.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

If gender is a man made societal construct, surely biology is the stronger true identifier as societal norms are more susceptible to fluidity?

Now just because I see things clearly in my mind, doesn't necessarily mean it is clear for everyone. I am willing to be challenged (probably not by Dave because he's a bit... shouty and sweary... well, let's say he his isn't my biggest fan).

Dolls are for girls, car are for boys is an extremely clumsy classification for children, but if a boy likes dolls or a girls likes cars, why does that alter anything other than likes and dislikes?

The leap from liking certain things from a gender perspective to wanting to alter biology I find hard to grasp. So what if someone doesn't like traditional gender roles? Women mechanics, men primary school teachers (clumsy classification I know, but I'm sure you can grasp the point), who cares?? We don't all like the same movies, so why would playthings or careers be any different??

I would love to discuss this with a tg, but I don't think I'll be meeting any soon. 😂

Where is the leap from liking certain stuff that doesn't reflect tradition to concluding they have the wrong body?

I wouldn't deny any adult the right to do anything they wanted with their body, but I struggle to understand how the conclusion is 'I'm in the wrong body'. Why? None of us knows what it likes to be in the opposite s£xes body, so how can that conclusion be met?

I'm a girl that like traditional (societal) boys things.
I'm a boy that likes traditional girls things.

I fail to see the issue with that...

As NPE pointed out, what about skin pigmentation? Eye colour, hair colour, etc. Is everything open to change?

Can I wake up tomorrow as say I want to be identified as a Chinese woman? And on Saturday I'm an Australian bogan?

What is the purpose? Why would someone care so much how others perceive them that they would put themselves through so much pain and suffering?

For those that have transitioned and are happy, fantastic, it's your body, do with it as you please. But for those that have ... psychological issues (again clumsy) should more criteria be met?

I read numerous articles on rising numbers on de-transitioning and it's horrific. A lot more research needs to be done before we as a society confidently give people the surgery.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

To add, Rachel Donezal. The white woman that claimed to be black. What is the difference between being a white woman that loves and fights for black culture and rights, than a black woman that loves and fights for black culture and rights?

If there is a difference, isn't that a society problem, and if it is, society is in affect pushing her (previously) to be ambiguous with the truth.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

The first time I heard the word cis was playing the South Park 'Fractured But Whole' game on the playstation and you had to choose your character's gender.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

6 months into the pandemic and we’ve eclipsed 1m deaths worldwide from this deadly virus.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Africa has recorded the lowest death rate across the six continents exposed to #Covid19

Europe accounted for 35% of new global deaths in the week leading up to September 23

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

So 1 million dead from Covid, I'm sorry is that all?

3.1 million children (and that is just children) die from hunger every year in the world and of course the global overreaction to Covid and the economic downturn we are thus getting will make this number much, much worse soon.

It's almost as if we in the "first world" only care about something if it directly effects us.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

comment by Sanity is overrated (U21166)
So 1 million dead from Covid, I'm sorry is that all?

This is news to you?

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

No, I was being facetious.

posted 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Quite telling that you think 1 million dead isn't much at the beginning of a pandemic where cases rise exponentially though.