Live Election Day Thread

comment by Blarmy (U14547)
Right now is definitely a bad time to make the 'youve never had it this easy' argument

I’d disagree.

In the past we wouldn’t have had the back up to protect jobs, have the knowledge and infrastructure to get this quickly towards treatments and potentially a vaccine, have the technology to start a track and trace (I know I know) etc etc and likely many more would have been left to suffer.

posted on 24/10/20

comment by Gingernuts (U2992)

I’d disagree.

Yeah as I said above there are pros and cons. Life expectancy has risen a lot for example.

posted on 24/10/20

comment by Sat Nav (U18243)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Gingernuts (U2992)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Sat Nav (U18243)
I haven’t met anyone that looks back in time and thinks life was harder than it is now. Everyone knows it’s harder now.
I mean clubs were open and i could travel

Life harder now????

Ok what way?
Much more competition for jobs, for university, the cost of university, the level of degree needed for similar jobs in the 70s is way higher so that’s more education and more debt. Housing isn’t the easy picture everyone makes out, it has always been expensive to buy something and you generally need to be a couple with two incomes to do it; the same is true today:
Average price £238k
Average salary is £30k x2 = £60k
This is more than enough to buy the property.

International competition and globalisation makes it harder also. The hours worked are more, the stress levels are much higher, the fines, the penalties, the laws.

Of course there are examples where things are a lot easier for us but I know I’d happily travel back in time. University cost me a fortune to pay off and I wasn’t one of these current students with exorbitant tuition fees. It was relatively cheap in my day but the living costs and loans I came out with a degree that wasn’t worth what it would have been in previous decades and a lot of debt it pay off.

Depending upon what time period you look at there has been mass unemployment (particularly after the war), poorer health and care, sparse diet and hunger, and far less care or understanding. Life spans were far shorter.

posted on 24/10/20

comment by Sat Nav (U18243)
posted less than a minute ago
comment by Gingernuts (U2992)

I’d disagree.

posted on 24/10/20

Today we can have jobs were we feck about arguing on JA all day instead of getting on with work.

Not like down tut mine.

posted on 24/10/20

its more like down 't mine

the definitive article runs off the previous word not the next one

the definitive article runs off the previous word not the next one
Yeah, I don't speak northern. I'm edumacated. 😉

posted on 24/10/20

comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
the definitive article runs off the previous word not the next one
Yeah, I don't speak northern. I'm edumacated. 😉
Not in linguistics tho

posted on 24/10/20

Was harder in the fivties,tipping kids out of school at fithteen to help build the country up after the war,no central heating,rationing,a push bike a considered luxery for transport,today you load of snowflakes don't know your born,go have a chat with your grandparents.

comment by Blarmy (U14547)
comment by Just Shoot (U10408)
the definitive article runs off the previous word not the next one
Yeah, I don't speak northern. I'm edumacated. 😉
Not in linguistics tho
Funny you should say that...

posted on 24/10/20

comment by groovyduringthewar (U1054)
It’s harder today in many ways also.

Ginger I dont know when you were in your 20s

But i personally look at guys who went into their real adulthood (as in whatever age you had to fend for yourself properly) in the 90s and 00s before the recession and think they had it better than I have

posted on 24/10/20

I see the government are about to apply VAT to face masks from next week.

They really are tone deaf, aren't they?

posted on 24/10/20

comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
I see the government are about to apply VAT to face masks from next week.

They really are tone deaf, aren't they?
This really is stupid

What rate of VAT?

back to 20%

I mean surely go to 5% rate if you are going to do this

posted on 24/10/20

its stupid while we are forced to buy them in

posted on 24/10/20

Its like they have a conference call every week where they decide how they can needlessly annoy the public then implement these policies.

posted on 24/10/20

comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
I see the government are about to apply VAT to face masks from next week.

They really are tone deaf, aren't they?

posted on 24/10/20

Worth saying that both the NHS and care homes will have to now pay VAT on PPE. Madness.

posted on 24/10/20

Saw that last night . It's madness.

Sat nav, on the point of buying a house the average household income in the UK is £29k, so I'm not sure why you say it's affordable at £60k, missing the point entirely

As a comparison my parents bought their (currently( £300k house in 1986 for £45k against my dad's £28k salary.

Housing being easier back then isn't even a discussion.

posted on 24/10/20

comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
I see the government are about to apply VAT to face masks from next week.

They really are tone deaf, aren't they?
Gotta pay back that furlough money somehow

posted on 24/10/20

The Bank of England is preparing for another interest rate cut, which would put already historically low rates into negative territory. But for first-time buyers, the reverse is true and mortgage rates are rising. To make matters worse, some lenders have introduced restrictions against mortgages on flats as they worry about price falls.

Before the coronavirus pandemic struck, loans for first-time buyers were plentiful, with many banks willing to advance as much as 95% of the purchase price and the best deals carrying an interest rate of only 2.6% a year.

Now, the low-deposit 95% deals have disappeared and there are only a few lenders willing to advance 90% of the price of a home. Nationwide is the only major lender still offering loans to first-time buyers with a 10% deposit – but the interest rate is 3.49% for two years.