MUFC vs Dr. Norway

comment by Mike (U1170)

posted on 31/7/19

Greenwood has looked a more natural fit for the first team so far than James, Chong, or even Mata/Lingard when played out on the right.

posted on 31/7/19

I agree with your assessment of the players.
The defensive weakness is because our decent but not great cbs are not being protected by the cdm. Matic is too slow and lacks the positional awareness of carrick to make up for it. i like McT but he is more a successor to herrera in my eyes.

our attackers are super direct which is a good thing but we also need someone with a bit of craft. Ole has tried using jese and mata but i honestly don't feel either should be first team regulars. If the dybala rumours are to be believed, he may be the answer.

posted on 31/7/19

Bailly is out for five months.

comment by Mike (U1170)

He has indeed. He's got that little extra bit of class on the ball in tight spaces and executes his moves with intent. He never looks like he doesn't know what he should do. I had the fortune to see him live against Cardiff and he lit up the game throughout.

James is interesting. His sheer work rate and speed make him an asset - especially in terms of playing a higher press - but his end product is very rough and in my view clearly not yet up to PL standards. Also needs to protect the ball better in general play because against PL teams, they'll take it off of him. If he can improve those areas; more clinical with his final ball and finishing, and move the ball quickly and not get caught when pressured, he'll be a really good player. I don't think he has the natural technical ability to be a top player, but a dangerous, lively player who works hard and offers balance to the team. He could maybe go on to develop as a really rapid Park Ji Sung type of player for us, which would be a very welcome addition to the squad.

posted on 31/7/19

Lingards days have to be numbered especially if dybala arrives.
He's just not reaching that next level required to help get us back to where we want to be
If anything hes regressed in the last 12 months

posted on 31/7/19

Couldn't ask much more from McT this pre-season... If he keeps that form going and we move Matic to a squad player, i'll be way happier. (He's played some great football in the deeper position).

comment by Mike (U1170)

posted on 31/7/19

comment by BerbaKing11 (U6256)
comment by Mike (U1170)

I think James will be good for us in the games against the top sides, when we've been penned back in previous fixtures but unable to break up the pitch.

posted on 31/7/19

Or maybe, its the kick up the balls he needs, to stay sharp and on the edge.
He cant get mad about it. This is a relevtion on him for average play. And we dont do Average!!

Lets go!

Mike,

He'll definitely be more of an asset on the break with space in front of him to use his pace. Opposition full backs will have something to think about when going forward too because they are going to catch him in full flow.

posted on 31/7/19

This is an excellent article. You should write more!

I agree with 90% of what you’ve written, all of which appears well-considered and sensible.

Matic will play; but particularly if we bring another B-2-B or number eight in, I hope we see more of McT at DM. Even if he isn’t going to be as consistent as Matic there immediately, he looks a real player for the future and will only improve. He’s been MOTM in the last two games, and a stand-out player throughout preseason. Matic is just not the future of the club.

Surely it’s only a matter of time before we see the experiment with Martial through the middle and Rashford wide binned. It just doesn’t make sense to me on paper, and we’ve now seen it fail repeatedly in the flesh this preseason. Both players’ talents are better served if they switch.

I’m just sorry for you that yesterday was the only preseason game you’ve managed to catch so far. It was the worst of the lot! We’ve generally looked more cohesive, sharper and more menacing going forward than we did yesterday.

comment by Mike (U1170)

posted on 31/7/19

The biggest concern for me regarding the new potential signings (Fernandes/Dybala or whoever), is Gomes.

He's the one I'd like to see involved in the first team more often, centrally too, not pushed out wide. If he's the one that misses out the most of our younger players this season, whether it be down to formation, or lack of opportunities in his position, then we'll lose him as his contract is done next year.

comment by Mike (U1170)

Yeah; I don’t quite understand the cognitive dissonance of some people desperately excited about the prospect of us signing Fernandes and/or Savic, then wanting to see Gomes get more game time.

Gomes’ best position is at eight. He can play at seven at ten, but he’s at his most influential playing in Pogba or Pereira’s position.

For me, he should be the one playing on Pogba’s days off. He’s Pogba’s apprentice.

Great result that!

comment by Mike (U1170)

Ed and Ole need to get that sorted

Get the lad signed up before the likes of Dortmund start sniffing around

posted on 31/7/19

comment by rosso is facking happy (U17054)
This is an excellent article. You should write more!

N'awwwww

I do read the site every day, but rarely post because I always find it a bit of a faff on my phone and don't really go on the laptop unless its work-related (at which point, I start to feel guilty when we're busy! ).

I forgot to mention James! I think its evident he hasn't really played at PL level previously, as he lacked the confidence of a Rashford / Pogba when it came to shooting.

It reminded me a little of something Alexis said, after joining Arsenal. Something about taking a shot, and Messi coming up to him and saying "What are you doing? You're in the team to assist me".

I'm not for a moment suggesting that Marcus or anybody said that to James (nor that they're as good as Messi and Alexis (was)!), but the way he seemed so desperate to appease his lead roles and not be seen as selfish made me will a bit more self-confidence unto him!

It is absolutely understandable, of course; hell, if I was there, I'd be offering tea breaks; boot polishings; back massages; etc. but I felt there were a good few occasions where Marcus himself, Lingard, Pogba - even Greenwood, which is good to see - would have taken the shot / run on himself.

Also, something I forgot to mention in the OP, was just how cringey the MUTV commentary is! Nothing has changed there since the Fergie days, but I feel we as fans don't mind a candid bit of commentary. Call a spade a spade! Not everything we do is perfect, nor was it under Fergie's tenure. At times, the way they speak, you'd think we were reigning PL & ECL champions!

posted on 31/7/19

comment by Devonshirespur (U6316)
Great result that!

Beat a random team by 1 goal, beat Spurs by 1 goal, I can see the similarities in the opposition quality

Back to the game

Both keepers they used pulled off some great saves

posted on 31/7/19

Shaw really is fat for a pro footballer in today's age.... How is that even possible ?..... Hazard looked very porky vs Spurs yesterday too

comment by Mike (U1170)

posted on 31/7/19

No idea how he hasn't trimmed down considering all the extra fitness work we've been said to be doing. Must have take away for tea every day.

comment by Mike (U1170)
Or he's getting some nutrition and fitness advice from lukaku

re-gomes
i am also of the opinion that gomes is one of the best technicians i have seen at utd.

before the dybala report I was thinking maybe gomes might somehow upsurp jese+/mata before the end of next season or greenwood makes rwf his own. But for either situation to pan out ole will need to invest serious trust in the youngsters

posted on 31/7/19

Ant-man is up there with the worse nicknames i've seen.

posted on 31/7/19

comment by rosso is facking happy (U17054)
comment by Mike (U1170)

Fernandes is 6 or 7 years older than Fernandes, and it's doubtful Pogba will be here after next summer. Mata will get even less game time, Lingard is 27... I don't think people looking towards a Fernandes or a Savic are suffering cognitive dissonance about wanting to see an 18 get some game time, too.

If we were talking about bringing in a 20/21 year old in that position then sure, it would be counter productive.

posted on 31/7/19

comment by BerbaKing11 (U6256)
comment by rosso is facking happy(U17054)
comment by Mike (U1170)

How do we give Gomes game time if Fernandes and Savic come in?

I can’t see how that’s going to help persuade him to sign a new contract.

posted on 31/7/19

How do we give Gomes game time if Fernandes and Savic come in?

.....................

With 9 days to go I don't see anymore arrivals.