Best film of 2019

comment by RtM (U1097)

posted on 6/1/20

comment by Ole-Dirty-Baz ta’rd (U19119)
comment by IvanGolacIsMagic (U5291)
I watched Joker for the first time this weekend and, while it's a very good movie and Phoenix is tremendous in it, I don't think it's AMAZING. I don't think I'd necessarily watch it again.

A controversial pick but I thought Marriage Story on Netflix was very very good and would probably be my pick of the movies this year. A very good cast putting in a series of very good performances.
I've always skipped that...looks dull. I bet I'd be very wrong if I watch it...
Zero interest. May well be amazing but its completely off my "to see" list.

posted on 8/1/20

Update on 2019 Film
What Men Want - Now "What Women Want" was not exactly a great movie, but it had charm and was amazing compared to this tripe. "What Men Want" was not only un-original and lacked humour, it was crude and had a really unlikable main character, which is sad because the actress is good in other films

Shazam! - Now this movie was quite entertaining and occasionally funny, but it was 132 mins and I don't think I could really invest in any character, the kids were hardly in it, the villain was great. Just felt with a lot of stuff, I'd seen it all before, kid gets super powers, learns to use them, makes mistakes, uploads his cool stuff on YouTube.

posted on 8/1/20

One thing I must congratulate Marvel on was their choice of The Immigrant song for the Thor battle scene in Ragnarok. Whoever matches that up was genius.

posted on 8/1/20

comment by SWTN - Judas is number 1 (U7916)
Yeah that was a great choice, and not a bad movie, better than most of the full marvel fair.

posted on 14/2/20

Caught up on a few 2019 films and Joker, Doctor Sleep and Ford Vs Ferrari were all brilliant. All very different films, so it's difficult to rate them 1, 2, 3.

posted on 17/2/20

Saw Joker last week, and thought it was fantastic. Joaquin better than Heath?

Watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood last night... pretty bad tbh. Starts off with some nice touches. Quickly becomes clever, clever indulgent before descending into dumb, dumb indulgent.

Brad Pitt is excellent despite all this. But the critics were right to question why Margot Robbie is so underused.

Oh yeah just remembered... Brightburn.

Also sh/t.

posted on 23/10/21

comment by JustTrue (U13155)
posted on 8/1/20
Update on 2019 Film

Have to agree with this. It's what comic movies should be providing and aren't.

posted on 23/10/21

I can understand why joker has taken so many votes here, so I'm going to be controversial and suggest something which made very little splash but think was worthy of more credit and recognition. Yesterday. The Beatles tribute act movie. It sounds rubbish but it's okay, and you'll like the sound track so much you'll maybe watch it twice. Few movies achieved this in 2019 for me.

posted on 23/10/21

comment by council bin man (U21986)
Interesting. I watched that movie with my wife. We both thought is was one of the worst and cheesiest films we had ever seen. Couldn't even stick to the end with it.

posted on 23/10/21

comment by SWTN - Judas is number 1 (U7916)
comment by council bin man (U21986)
I agree, it's a really cheesy predictable movie, I think it's what I liked about it. Zero thought required. Reminded me of some really cheesy fun 80's films which I don't think any recent movies have been able to emulate. I guess I'm a bit tired of the current superhero format and this is def not that.