or to join or start a new Discussion

Articles/all comments
These 34 comments are related to an article called:

Standard of reffing this season

Page 1 of 2

posted on 20/1/20

The parallels between West Brom and Leeds right now are frightening.

Watching them play Stoke is just like watching Leeds United!!

As for refereeing, painful watching Dermott Gallagher, previous EPL referee trying to explain why Virgil Van Dijk going into De Gae is a foul. Quite poor.

posted on 20/1/20

Shocking for years pal. If any division needs VAR it’s the championship.

posted on 20/1/20

comment by JonnyLosAngeles (My Dad was made in Leeds) עם ישראל חי (U9756)
posted 14 minutes ago
The parallels between West Brom and Leeds right now are frightening.

Watching them play Stoke is just like watching Leeds United!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Was just thinking the same, watching the first period

posted on 20/1/20

They are worse than us. There’s nope yet.

comment by Mattyp (U8926)

posted on 20/1/20

Reffing has been very bad.

I understand , and accept, that refs are always going to get calls wrong.

I have no issue with that, what annoys me is that it seems that these refs are getting calls wrong which they should be getting right.

A good ref isint one that dosent make mistakes, however s good ref is one who gets calls right which he should do.

posted on 20/1/20

Shocking but nothing ever gets done

posted on 20/1/20

Yep, they are never accountable. The linesman don’t do enough when they should either.

We’ve had some horrible refs over the years, we didn’t get a pen for 50 games or something at one point.

posted on 20/1/20

West Bromwich Albion - Stoke City Match Statistics

16 Shots Total 4
2 Shots on goal 2
10 Shots off goal 1
4 Shots blocked 1
9 Shots inside box 3
7 Shots outside box 1
10 Fouls 18
7 Corners 1
3 Offsides 2
1 Saves 2
68% Possession Time 32%
566 Passes Total 272
448 Accurate Passes 152
79% Accurate Passes% 56%

Look familiar?

Orta's fault?

Bielsa's fault?

I normally don't care about other teams but the comparisons are interesting/alarming/surprising!

posted on 20/1/20

West Brom found out months ago

posted on 20/1/20

The difference between us and West Brom this season is that they are lucky to have the points they have. Didn’t see tonight’s game but win lose or draw, they’ve been getting outplayed regularly, especially the last couple of months.

comment by Jonty (U4614)

posted on 20/1/20

As I posted in article earlier on form, West Brom’s form is worse than ours!

posted on 20/1/20

Refereeing standards have improved over the years.
They are far fitter than the past.
The problem is the amount of replays and angles available from cameras and phones which give us the chance to eventually prove them to have made a mistake.
It’s a difficult job which those who have done it will testify

posted on 20/1/20

comment by Kebablegs (U17699)
posted 5 minutes ago
Refereeing standards have improved over the years.
They are far fitter than the past.
The problem is the amount of replays and angles available from cameras and phones which give us the chance to eventually prove them to have made a mistake.
It’s a difficult job which those who have done it will testify
----------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but as a referee I find that some of the errors at the professional level are astounding!

I exclude incidents like the Wells handballs as the refs were unsighted.

posted on 21/1/20

They've lost just 3 games, we've lost 6 and have 2 in form sides away coming up.

posted on 21/1/20

"I exclude incidents like the Wells handballs as the refs were unsighted."

Jonny - as someone who, I believe, refs himself, wouldn't you accept that it's the ref's job to ensure that they *aren't* unsighted?

Surely being in a position where he can't see what's going on behind the wall, simply means that he got it wrong and put himself in the wrong position?

Where would you have positioned yourself for that free-kick?

posted on 21/1/20

You would have thought at least one of the two might have seen it.

posted on 21/1/20

Refs are needed, they're an essential element of the game.

They make mistakes, sometimes howlers, but on balance I think they all do there best to provide a positive impact to any game. I've lost count of the times when I've been at ER and thought they'd had a mare, but when watching back incidents on TV, they've actually got it spot on (for and against us).

They're not helped by the continuous diving, cheating and abuse they receive from players, coaches and pretty much anyone within the ground (or in commentary boxes). Watching the Liverpool v Man U game on sunday, it was appalling to see the schum players en-masse surrounding and abusing the ref, for a decision which still separates opinion.

My criticism is the lack of help they get from the assistants running up and down the lines. Time and again they seem clueless and shy away from providing support to the guy/girl running around the pitch and trying to keep up with play.

posted on 21/1/20

This is why VAR will never work in this country, VAR is very good and works everywhere else.

The issue is the incompetent clowns operating it, until the people at the top realise this nothing will change but 90% of this country's refs are appalling and the other 10% have massive ego's

comment by NJS (U8272)

posted on 21/1/20

comment by VOF - what could possibly go wrong now? (U17124)
posted 1 hour, 56 minutes ago
Refs are needed, they're an essential element of the game.

They make mistakes, sometimes howlers, but on balance I think they all do there best to provide a positive impact to any game. I've lost count of the times when I've been at ER and thought they'd had a mare, but when watching back incidents on TV, they've actually got it spot on (for and against us).

They're not helped by the continuous diving, cheating and abuse they receive from players, coaches and pretty much anyone within the ground (or in commentary boxes). Watching the Liverpool v Man U game on sunday, it was appalling to see the schum players en-masse surrounding and abusing the ref, for a decision which still separates opinion.

My criticism is the lack of help they get from the assistants running up and down the lines. Time and again they seem clueless and shy away from providing support to the guy/girl running around the pitch and trying to keep up with play.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely spot on!


posted on 21/1/20

comment by RadebeTedd (U17015)
posted 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
"I exclude incidents like the Wells handballs as the refs were unsighted."

Jonny - as someone who, I believe, refs himself, wouldn't you accept that it's the ref's job to ensure that they *aren't* unsighted?

Surely being in a position where he can't see what's going on behind the wall, simply means that he got it wrong and put himself in the wrong position?

Where would you have positioned yourself for that free-kick?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The conventional wisdom is for the center referee, the ball and the assistant referee to be in a straight line. This enables the center to be able to see the ball and thus the players involved in play and the assistant at the same time.

Accordingly, I would have positioned myself further to the left than he did. This would have resulted in my view being blocked by the Leeds wall!

The assistant on that side was looking directly into the sun and the ball appears to touch Wells arms ever so slightly.

Easy to see on tv, not so easy on the pitch! I give the ref team a pass on that one.

posted on 21/1/20

JLA - fair enough. But as someone who's only ever reffed school matches, I still feel that the referee/linesman combo should have seen it!

Not that I'm not unbiased, of course...

posted on 21/1/20

comment by gelderd82 (U6817)
posted 3 hours ago
This is why VAR will never work in this country, VAR is very good and works everywhere else.

The issue is the incompetent clowns operating it, until the people at the top realise this nothing will change but 90% of this country's refs are appalling and the other 10% have massive ego's
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here’s my first nomination to go on the course and do 5 games and see if you still have the same opinion

posted on 21/1/20

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/17/football-fixtures-called-off-after-referee-bomb-attack/

posted on 21/1/20

op bang on the mula

posted on 21/1/20

comment by Kebablegs (U17699)
posted 4 hours, 1 minute ago
comment by gelderd82 (U6817)
posted 3 hours ago
This is why VAR will never work in this country, VAR is very good and works everywhere else.

The issue is the incompetent clowns operating it, until the people at the top realise this nothing will change but 90% of this country's refs are appalling and the other 10% have massive ego's
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here’s my first nomination to go on the course and do 5 games and see if you still have the same opinion
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ill have the same opinion until standards improve....how anyone can say the state of officiating in this country isn't anything other than diabolical is beyond me.

Sure its a hard job, but they are getting worse not better

Page 1 of 2

Sign in if you want to comment