How should we approach the Europa?

posted on 28/7/20

Someone also made a good point the other day that the Europa League winner goes straight into pot 1 for the CL group draw.

I’d imagine we would be pot 3 at this stage otherwise.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by The Process (U20671)
I’d rest all 1st team regulars vs Lask. That tie is done.

Next game I’d go something like

Romero
TFM Bailly Maguire Williams
McTominay Fred Pogba
Lingard Ighalo Rashford

So a mixture of first teamers and back up.

If we get to the semi I say put the best XI on and go for it.

Sounds pretty sensible. Aren't we down to play Copenhagen or the Turkish side in the QF? Your team should have enough quality.

posted on 28/7/20

I'd be really interested to hear from physical preparation experts about the current situation. I've no idea whether or not players require a good break now. On the face of it, playing about quarter of a season condensed into a month then launching into a new season sounds bad. But how does the three month break before that affect their bodies? To what extent does fatigue accumulate more when games are played in a short space of time than it would over a longer period of time? To what extent would the benefit of a longer than usual break mitigate or even exacerbate that?

Knowing next to nothing about all this, I have no idea how our approach to the EL might affect the next season. Obviously, we all want to win the EL if we can. Probably we all think having a fresh squad that isn't more vulnerable to injuries than our competitors next season is higher priority. Hopefully our management team is in a position to judge these calls successfully.

posted on 28/7/20

Romero should play all the remaining Europa games. I think he deserves it.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)
comment by The Process (U20671)
I’d rest all 1st team regulars vs Lask. That tie is done.

Next game I’d go something like

Romero
TFM Bailly Maguire Williams
McTominay Fred Pogba
Lingard Ighalo Rashford

So a mixture of first teamers and back up.

If we get to the semi I say put the best XI on and go for it.

Exactly and would still have the likes of Martial, Bruno and Greenwood to come on if things get tough.

I feel Bruno needs a break until the semis if at all possible but knowing Ole he’ll start him vs LASK

posted on 28/7/20

comment by CurrentlyStuckIntheUK (U11181)
Romero should play all the remaining Europa games. I think he deserves it.
I think he will too. I’d give Grant a day out vs LASK though.

posted on 28/7/20

if all the QFs onwards are in the same venue, presumably we have to name a squad for those stages, and can't chop and change it after each round? so we could still rest players for the QF and bring them back for the SF, but those players would still have to travel with the squad to cologne before the QFs and stay in the complex?

is that the way it's working? 2nd leg vs LASK is different, obviously, and no 1st team regular should be anywhere near that team (unless we want to give greenwood a game as the no.9 i guess).

posted on 28/7/20

comment by Red Russian (U4715)

This is the thing - elite players aren't match-fit all-year round, or at the same level of match-fitness. I've read that, in a regular season and barring injuries and the like, they're expected to be at their fittest around September, as the pre-season training coupled with the inimitable experience of playing actual competitive matches comes to fruition. That's all out of the window at the moment, and the teams who get to the finals of the EL and CL have a mini "pre-season tournament" at full intensity to factor in as well.

I'm sure it's a challenge for those in charge of training at the top clubs to ensure that players can still get the right rest and the right pre-season while still being ready for an early- or mid-September restart. It's probably not as straightforward as just rotating a few players and I'd imagine that a lot of planning is going into it.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by The Process (U20671)
comment by Clockwork Red (U4892)
comment by The Process (U20671)
I’d rest all 1st team regulars vs Lask. That tie is done.

Next game I’d go something like

Romero
TFM Bailly Maguire Williams
McTominay Fred Pogba
Lingard Ighalo Rashford

So a mixture of first teamers and back up.

If we get to the semi I say put the best XI on and go for it.

To be fair, the tie is a on a knife-edge with just five away goals and I could understand Ole's desire to see an early penalty go in, just to steady those nerves.

posted on 28/7/20

It really depends - If I was Ole I'd leave this one completely up to the sports scientists, or whoever it is at the club who is paid to make these decisions.

If there is even the slightest chance that playing our first team in this could affect us going into next season, we shouldn't.

posted on 28/7/20

Romero, McT, Fred and Ighalo should start all games. The rest of the starting 11 should be determined by strenght of opposition...

posted on 28/7/20

Take a hit. Play the fringe players and a the u23. Let the first teamers holidays start now

This been Utd. Expect us to play rashford, martial and co. Get some injuries and then everyone wonders why when we begin to struggle by December

posted on 28/7/20

i'd want ole to take the europa seriously, the chance of winning two trophies, europa and super cup will do wonders for confidence levels

posted on 28/7/20

comment by -bloodred- (U1222)

This. The EL is important, but it's not *so* important that a reasonable shot at winning it (we're currently around 2/1 favourites in the betting odds) trumps undermining a season where we want to finally kick on and establish ourselves as a team building towards serious titles.

posted on 28/7/20

saving the team for next year seems pretty pointless.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by Red Russian (U4715)
comment by -bloodred- (U1222)

I’d agree with this. There’s likely to be a knock on effect. If we get to the final we might not play our first league game until three weeks into the season I think it is. That’ll see us playing another condensed schedule next season.

posted on 28/7/20

Exactly. A regualr season is demanding enough without having so start it off the back of an intense 2 month period of football with next to no pre season and an even more condensed season if our start is halted to fit in the EL games and then an International tournament afterwards.

We're not City, we don't have a strong in depth squad. Pushing it to the limit before we even go into next season seems rather naive.

I enjoyed us winning the EL a few seasons back but it isn't essential.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by Imran The King Khan (U10026)
comment by Red Russian (U4715)
comment by -bloodred- (U1222)

I'm sure that I read that we would start 10 days after the start of the season.

We can look forward to the EL without the added pressure of needing to win it to secure CL next season and should now be looking at winning it.

posted on 28/7/20

Might not be three weeks. I forgot to add that it could be an even later start for the winners because of the Super Cup.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by manutd1982 (U6633)

I enjoyed us winning the EL a few seasons back but it isn't essential.
Youd be one of the first on here calling for Ole if we lost in the qf or sf.

Its 3 games - we SHOULD be going for it. Full stop.

posted on 28/7/20

I'd be disappointed if we didn't give it a good go. If there was to be a second wave of Covid19 and football hqd to be stopped again I'd rather it be on the back of winning a trophy.

In the next few years we could well see stop start seasons so we need to grasp every opportunity to win a trophy.

posted on 28/7/20

As we stand now I think we need to win this trophy as I see next season being trophyless.

I think we will mature as a team and be a lot better than we have been but I can't see us winning a trophy

Cleverson

Why would I do that when I haven’t called for him to be sacked once?

I’ve questioned his ability at times when he was doing poorly and also praised him when he’s done well. That’s what you do as a fan, you don’t need to blindly follow someone.

posted on 28/7/20

No way Williams should be playing against Lask. With Shaw out, there is absolutely no need to risk him.
Play Dalot there and TFM on the right.
I think Mata should get a runout. His experience in Europe could be useful and he is short of games. Give him a run against Lask in case we need him the then other rounds.

posted on 28/7/20

It is a proper trophy, but plus a first for Ole.
We should do our best.