99 CL final

posted on 28/7/20

Him and Berbatov are my two favourite players since Robbo?
Feet half the speed of most, but brain twice as fast as most

posted on 28/7/20

Just watching the last half hour on +1.

Watched it in full a couple years ago and remember thinking it wasn’t the one sided affair that people claim.

Decent performance considering we were missing the best PL central midfield pairing of all time.

posted on 28/7/20

Butty

posted on 28/7/20

SHERINGHAM!

Goosebumps. Every time.

comment by MUFCdan (U1463)

posted on 28/7/20

Makes me feel a bit emotional watching sir Alex interview after. Seems so young

posted on 28/7/20

The whole thing makes me emotional!

Beckham deserves a lot of credit, I sometimes forget just how good he was with the ball.

posted on 28/7/20

Just watching the Germans in bits at the end is enough for me

posted on 28/7/20

Like it was yesterday. I lost my fooking mind when the second went in.

posted on 28/7/20

comment by Winston (U16525)
Just watching the last half hour on +1.

The whole "Bayern battered you" thing seemed to come into being quite a while after the event, if I remember. I've not sat and watched it all again, but my recollection of the game was that, though we struggled to get going (it's hard to replace both your first-choice CMs in a game of such magnitude and play with fluency), Bayern scored early and then hit us on the break a few times, and the fact that they hit the woodwork twice painted a false picture of domination. We didn't really create a chance till right at the death, but I hardly remember us being totally outplayed, which became the popular version. I'd have to watch it all again myself though.

posted on 28/7/20

Yeah I watched it earlier. Didn't realise how well we actually did considering we missed Keane and Scholes.

Becks in Midfield was awesome. Giggs played RW.

We didn't have too many clear cut chances, just a few, but we got in to good positions and due to nerves we messed it up.

Bayern hit the post twice but that was late in the game after we started tiring.

Good re-watch that.

posted on 28/7/20

I had just flown out to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Staying in a hotel and starting a new job in the morning so trying to behave.
Went out and had a couple of beers, back to the room, set my alarm to watch the final at about 0500 local time.
Couple of minutes to go and United are losing and I'm 9000 miles away from my girlfriend. Then it happened.
I raided the courtesy fridge for a couple of tinnies, had a shower and presented myself at work for my first day, apologetic for any smell of beer on my breath. The boss, a great bloke from Brisbane was also a United supporter and was even more the worse for wear than I was. We talked for about an hour, totally bypassed the actual job interview, went for lunch together and never got back to work that day. Got the 9 month contract and a 3 month extension and then they got me another 3 month job working for the Tassie Tote.. Wonderful times and wonderful people.
But that night against Bayern was just a magical start to a great time in my life.
Two days later my employers approved my lady's visa to join me.
OK boring post unless you know that feeling of going to work in Aus and meeting such lovely people.

posted on 29/7/20

Probably the greatest robbery I'm football history.
I think that's why united's 99 team isn't the best they had in my view .

Great they won the cup instead of ze Germans but they got spanked all game. I bet them Munich players still have nightmares.....could be 5 up then lose like that 😂

posted on 29/7/20

"Probably the greatest robbery I'm football history."

This is true, if you've never watched any other football in your life.

posted on 29/7/20

I watched it again about a year or so ago.

Beckham was brilliant in midfield. His passing kept Bayern on their toes and got us into good positions which we didn't really utilise. It was a scrappy, evenly matched game in truth.

Bayern had the better chances of course, especially when things got stretched. I think with Keane and Scholes available we'd have won the game in less dramatic fashion. Giggs wasn't much involved on the right hand side of the midfield so all things considered it was a decent performance.

posted on 29/7/20

comment by Winston (U16525)
"Probably the greatest robbery I'm football history."

This is true, if you've never watched any other football in your life.
They dominated a cl cup final and hit the woodwork a few times then lost in injury time to 2 corners.

Liverpool robbed arsenal in a cup final in a similar fashion but it wasn't as bad as losing a cl final that way.

posted on 29/7/20

comment by FootyMcfootfoot (U21853)
comment by Winston (U16525)
"Probably the greatest robbery I'm football history."

This is true, if you've never watched any other football in your life.

yup, more shots, more shots on target, more possession, more passes, higher pass completion rate, and a higher xg, but "greatest robbery" etc.

be more surprised if you have watched the match once since 1999, than i would be if you've never seen the match at all:

posted on 29/7/20

comment by FootyMcfootfoot (U21853)
comment by Winston (U16525)
"Probably the greatest robbery I'm football history."

This is true, if you've never watched any other football in your life.

They didn't dominate.

Man Utd had the same number of shots, more shots on target, more possession and more corners.

If you actually watch the game, you'll see that as the game got stretched, Bayern nearly scored with a sucker punch and had a great 10 minutes or so where they hit the woodwork twice.

Your narrative is simply a figment of your imagination I'm afraid.

posted on 29/7/20

My memory was it was a bad game. Munich were the better team and deserved to win it.

Stats are two dimensional without context but we just have to accept bias plays a part in our views.
I felt man u didn't look a threat and Munich nearly scored a few times. All the xg and hafi stats in the world won't change what I saw with my eyes 😅

posted on 29/7/20

comment by FootyMcfootfoot (U21853)

I think if it were such a robbery, as you claim, we’d struggle to find any stats to argue your case.

Let’s be honest, you’re talking utter rubbish.

posted on 29/7/20

"I felt man u didn't look a threat and Munich nearly scored a few times." That's quite a way from "Probably the greatest robbery in football history"

Speaking of footballing robberies, I love the story of the Motherwell v Kilmarnock game a few years ago. I believe Motherwell were on top, only for someone called Rhian Dodds to put Kilmarnock 2-1 up late on. The home stadium announcer actually said: "And the scorer of Kilmarnock's second goal is no.16, D ick Turpin."

posted on 29/7/20

comment by Winston (U16525)
comment by FootyMcfootfoot (U21853)

Let’s be honest, you’re talking utter rubbish.
You think it was rubbish but I think your view is also, that's why I said bias clearly always plays a part in our views.

If we all thought the same thing the forum wouldn't exist

posted on 30/7/20

Jesus wept.

Apparently on this forum you can say anything and hide behind it being an opinion, no matter how illogical.

The greatest robbery ever yet we had more shots, more possession, more corners...

Sometimes you should just admit you made a mistake and you remember it wrong.