Whiskey

comment by 4zA (U22472)

comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by 4zA (U22472)
some Japanese whiskey has a good reputation
I got a Japanese whisky when I was best man at a wedding. The bottle lasted longer than his marriage.
is that the guy who got married in Naples? or was that Admin2?

posted on 23/1/21

Is Glenmorangie Signet seen much back in the UK? It’s a bit of a premium purchase but makes for a special sip - a blend to rival most single malts

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 23/1/21

comment by *77*78*81*84*05*19* (U22568)
comment by Admin1 (U1)
comment by *77*78*81*84*05*19* (U22568)
Ardbeg and Laphroaig are king for me! Has anyone else tried Jameson's Black Barrel?
Not tried that.

Ardbeg wee beastie I bought just before Christmas and it's excellent £35 ish, young whisky very peaty and medicinal, almost a star anise character on the nose.
I would highly recommend Black Barrel. If you get the chance, go to Bushmills distillery!
Cheers

posted on 23/1/21

comment by Mason Van Persie (U5125)
Easy to drink and quite cheap I go for Haig club, a bit more expensive Glenfiddich 15 or 18, my favourite single malts
A treat are some of the Japanese whiskies, Hibiki is nice, but getting dear
Haig is on offer at Morrisons atm £20 for a litre!!

comment by 4zA (U22472)
some Japanese whiskey has a good reputation
I’ve heard great things about Japanese whiskey too. Never tried any, can’t really touch the stuff myself. Had an early nuclear over indulgent experience on the stuff in my very early teens to the point it almost instantly makes me sick these days.

comment by 4zA (U22472)

posted on 23/1/21

comment by Ole-dirty-baztard - You want ole in, ole out, in, out, in, out, shake it all about. Do the ole Koke (U19119)
comment by 4zA (U22472)
some Japanese whiskey has a good reputation
i never tried em

i do like sake, the cloudy stuff anyways

posted on 23/1/21

First of all, I only drink whisky not whisky.

Then I drink as an apéritif a J&B. For two reasons, I had friends called Joan and Brian, also the I used to buy my wine from Justerini and Brooks so it made sense. I haven't bought my wine from them since I moved to France, I still buy the whisky from the local supermarket. I drink it as an apéritif, I fill I glass with ice and then a good glug of whisky.

For sipping later I like Laphroaig, it's got a peaty, smoky flavour which I like.

The 'perfect,' whisky is The Macallen which other distilleries use to blend their whiskys so it's a good starting point.

As always, the best whisky is the one you like most.

posted on 23/1/21

Auchtoshan American Oak. Beautiful it is.

And also Woodford reserve.

posted on 23/1/21

*whiskey, my bad. Scotch is whisky which is what I drink.

posted on 23/1/21

Japanese whiskeys were made for a slightly softer palet. Went on a tour of santori distillery 2 years ago in Japan and it was awesome. Learnt a lot about them they were the first Japanese whiskey distillery. Took Scottish and US barrels over and tweeted it to the Japanese palet. They're less earthy and less smokey. Easier to drink. Also, the water from the spring they use is accredited to the high quality they produce.

comment by Busby (U19985)

posted on 23/1/21

I’ve gotten into whiskey the past 18-24 months. Started with some smoother bourbons (I’m not gonna argue whether it’s a whiskey or bourbon) like Buffalo Trace and Gentleman’s Jack.

You can get a bottle of both for around £20 if there’s a deal on.

I’m enjoying a new wild turkey called Longbranch which is nice. A couple of clients have given me a bottle, Clan Fraser which is okay for a blend. Look forward to trying their finished product. I enjoyed talsinker 12 (spelling).

To be honest I just go for what’s on offer and sounds enjoyable. I prefer a smooth whiskey.

An underrated spirit in the rocks is rum. Really enjoyed some of the finer rums on offer now.

posted on 23/1/21

Blends can be better than some single malts imo.

posted on 23/1/21

Getting to know your favourite whiskey

Really like Bulleit bourbon, big fan of Jamesons and Suntory.

Whisky over whiskey

posted on 24/1/21

Scotch non peated I’d go any Dalmore aged 15 or above

Scotch peated id go Ardbeg Uigeadial

Scotch if you’re not sure Talisker 10 I think is a great all rounder

American Rowans Creek or Jeffersons. Anything that comes out of Buffalo Trace

Irish Jameson’s hits the spot for me, but Teeling single malt if you want to spend a little more

Japanese I would of gone Yamazaki 12 until the price increased by about 50%. That market is pretty wild now.

posted on 24/1/21

And as a bit of a curve ball, Doorlys XO as a sipping rum is probably the best brown liquor you’ll get for your buck. It’s about £30. Isn’t pumped full of caramel or other 5hite, and has a whiskey vibe from the ex bourbon barrels it’s aged in. Can’t recommend that enough.

posted on 24/1/21

comment by *77*78*81*84*05*19* (U22568)
posted 10 hours, 1 minute ago
Big fan of Black Barrel. Often on offer for about €30 in Tesco.

posted on 24/1/21

Had to give up on decent whiskey. It’s far too expensive here to justify investing, and I imagine with Brexit will only get pricier now.

Used to be a big fan of pretty much anything that came from Ìle: Laphroig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Ardbeg. All with good bodies, malty, smoky and very peaty. Also Talisker.

The only bottle I have in now is Japanese: Nikka Days. Easy drinking, popular with visitors. Grainy for me, and not a patch on any of the above, but the locals here haven’t got a clue anyway

Here it’s brandy. Can pick up a good bottle of medronho aged in oak wine casks for EUR30 which is as good as any of the above for me.

posted on 24/1/21

Do you drink it from a jar?

comment by IAmMe (U18491)

posted on 24/1/21

posted on 24/1/21

Only been drinking whisky for a couple years.

Caol Isla is my favourite so far. At the moment I am drinking Macallan and Glenlivet, both decent.Bowmore is also very nice.

Looking forward to drinking my hometown whisky, Wolfburn, once its aged. Only been going for 3 or 4 years.

posted on 24/1/21

Only been drinking whisky for a couple years.

Blimey. That’s one hell of a bender.

comment by Admin1 (U1)

posted on 24/1/21

comment by _Viva_Vida (U6044)
Only been drinking whisky for a couple years.

Glenlivet founders reserve is a easy drinker £33

Rassay are about to release a whisky £100 a bottle, but I've heard it is a great investment.

posted on 24/1/21

As the great song says:

" What ya going to do when the whisky ain't working no more, life dont feel like before...what u gonna do....what u gonna do when the ride ain't coming no more, nobody's beatin down your door

What ya gonna do..."

posted on 24/1/21

The whisky ain’t working no more? Chin up GB Liverpool aren’t that garbage again yet