World class players

Disagree.

Disagree.

comment by #Culer (U22564)

Giggs wasn’t world class

comment by GregOle (U1192)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Unpopular opinion but but I'd class Beckham and Rio as world class as well.
There hasn't been a player like beckham, since Beckham. His passing ability was ridiculous also rio was the main man at the back.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Scholes wasn't world class either. Lovely little player but not world class.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Surely schmeicheal was world class?

I also thought Keane was as well (could be Irish bias there as well)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

That list looks too short for me.
I’d definitely add the Great Dane and Keane to that list. Arguments could be made for many other players too.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by Irishred (U2539)
Surely schmeicheal was world class?

I also thought Keane was as well (could be Irish bias there as well)
Beat me to it.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by babyen ansikt snikmorder (U9094)
That list looks too short for me.
Beat you by 1 minute

Although regarding OP I do think the term is handed out too easily these days

comment by #Culer (U22564)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It’s mad because there’s 4 world class players that Fergie lists in his ‘all time’ list, but I would argue we have 4 world class players now:

Bruno
Shaw
Pogba
Rashford

comment by Spurtle (U1608)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Keane, Schmeichel, Edwin VDS, Ferdinand, Rooney, Beckham (for a while) all world class I think.

😂😂😂😂

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

It's hard to quantify what 'world class' means so can probably make an argument for a handful of players.

I'd also put Schmeichel and Keane in this bracket ... plus Bryan Robson to add to the four nominated by SAF.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

How would you define world class? People seem to have different criteria.

comment by Spurtle (U1608)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by #Culer (U22564)

Bruno
Shaw
Pogba
Rashford

I think these guys need another season or 2 of consistent form to be considered WC. I guess Bruno comes the closest.

Beaten by seconds

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

No mention of Keane. Still holds a grudge.

comment by Spurtle (U1608)

RVN too.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by Pun Guy (U21588)
How would you define world class? People seem to have different criteria.
Yeah.

For me it's simply anyone who is among the absolute elite in his particular position at the time.

Going by that, Fergie's list is ridiculously small tbh - I'd add Schmeichel, VDS, Rio, Stam, Vidic, Evra, Irwin, Keane, Becks, Rooney, RVP, RVN to that list plus probably a few I've forgotten.

comment by SirLes (U6965)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by #Culer (U22564)

Bruno
Shaw
Pogba
Rashford

This just proves Fergie’s point about the words “World Class” being used too easily.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Pun Guy (U21588)
How would you define world class? People seem to have different criteria.
Yeah.

I would agree with that.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

comment by -bloodred- (U1222)
comment by Pun Guy (U21588)
How would you define world class? People seem to have different criteria.
Yeah.

My list would be closer to this one. I might not have included Evra, Vidic or RVP, but otherwise I’m in agreement.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I'd be inclined to agree with SAF, although I would add Rio and Keane and Rooney to that list too.

WC is a term that is thrown around nowadays. An absolute pre-requisite for me is that they are champion on multiple occasions, along with their obvious talent and consistent performance levels.

Very few in that bracket at present in the PL for me.

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I agree that the term gets thrown around way too easily.

I disagree with SAF that he only had those four.

comment by Spurtle (U1608)

posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I think it's fair that players can very quickly move in and out of being world class. Like RVP is a good example. He was world class for a couple of seasons at his peak cause that peak was so high, but the rest of his career is not world class.